Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » setup backup mailserver
  •  
lars

Send a private message to this user
I need a suggestion on how to setup (example) a backup mailserver that ONLY acts as a temporary storage when the main mailserver is down (backup MX for the domain.. Lower priority)
It should not be a backup store for all mails, only NEW mails sent to the domains hosted..

The main mailserver should download/get mails received on the backup server when it is up again..

How do I setup the backup server for this "feature" ?
Can I just setup all the domains to forward all mails to non-existent users to the main server..? Will the backup mailserver try to forward these mails for some hours, og will it fail immediately?

[Updated on: Sat, 04 March 2006 20:59]

•  
Zakk

quite simpel, you awnsered some points by yourself :)

1. make two MX entries for your domain, high priority for main mailserver, lower priority for backup mailserver

2. both servers have one big inbox to catch all mails

3. backup mailserver has one big inbox to catch all mails

4. main mailserver clears backup mailserver inbox with pop3 and delivers by his rules

all systems ok: mail goes direct to main mailserver

main mailserver failure: due to lower priority mx record, mails go to backup mailserver, which does nothing with it. only collecting. main mailserver downloads all mails when he's up.

finish:)

•  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Actually, it would be better to create one user in the domain on backup KMS and forward emails to other users in the domain to main KMS.
You can set the domain to queue all incoming messages and wait for ETRN command. Main KMS will then periodically (accordingly to scheduler settings) send ETRN command for specified domain(s) to your backup KMS. ETRN will trigger normal message delivery from backup to main KMS.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 17:28]

•  
lars

I think I actually found an even easier method of doing this.
I created a backup mail server with lower priority for MX record. I create the domain(s) without users and specify the main mailserver as forward server..
I then check the box in front of "the forward host is offline, delivery is triggered by scheduler"
I then created a schedule to send mail every 5 minutes..

Now I guess mail should arrive at the backup mailserver if the main server is down. And the mail should be forwarded to the main server when the main server is available again.

[Updated on: Fri, 10 March 2006 17:48]

•  
sedell

Just make sure you have all of your spam controls set up to match your primary server. I've found that spammers often use the mailserver with the lowest priority hoping it will relay their mail around the spam controls on the primary server.

Scott
  •  
lars

My last configuration is working great! Now I'm going to get an alternate ISP for this backup mailserver..
  •  
aapii

any suggestions on this problem. I am trying to do the same thing.
any answer from the mods.

thanks!
Previous Topic: Two personal calendars show up on my account
Next Topic: Addressbook outlook 2002 slow...
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:42:07 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00402 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.