Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Disaster Recovery Run
  •  
binary

Send a private message to this user
hi folks,

just been planning for a worst case scenario and trying to do a trial run - restore of KMS.

OK the story, so far is I use the KMS backup along with iomega backup Pro (came bundled with the REV drive) to back up the mailstore and two *.cfg files(mailserver and users), SSLCERT folder and License folder to the REV drive (nifty little things they are.)

Now, to do a test run restore I used the backup from above on a generic PC with a fresh install of Windows 2003 server, installed KMS server (however the KB article says that I have option to say no when asked to start KMS server, but 6.1.3 installer doesn't give me that option) and so the server starts when I click FINISH. I stop the server copy the cfg files(mailserver & users) , license folder...(not to concerned about the SSLcert at the moment) and then using kmsrecover restore the latest backup(F2006blahblah.zip) to the store Directory. then install Nod32 and exclude the store ,backup & archive folders. Then install nod32 lic file and restart PC.

When I login using Admin console I get the license expired message.... I can see the users and configurations are all intact but the mailserver engine disabled.

point to note:
1/ this is test run... so i didn't make the computer part of the domain and but using same IP address(as live) in a controlled environment with a PC and this server attached to switch (static IP address 10.1.1.0/30 subnet)no external connection coz remember I just want to check the restore process... which is - can I logon using webmail (using http://ip_address to connect to server currently gives me subscription expired message)...

any pointers as to why iam getting this message??? I followed the KB article "how do I restore KMS data, users and settings...." but noticed (as mentioned earlier) in the 1st bullet point "no option to cancel server start on 6.1.3 installer at the end...

regards
binary

•  
Kerio_jthomas

Hello,

First, I assume your license is valid for 6.1.3 Razz

Your license.key file in the \license folder will have lines like this:

License-Expires: 09 Mar 2007
Subscription-Expires: 09 Mar 2007

If your values are less than the release date of 6.1.3 (01 Mar 2006), then you obviously won't be able to use it.

Second, I assume both machines are Windows Server 2003. If you're moving from a Linux or OS X server to Windows Server 2003, you need a new license key; the licenses are OS-specific. You can generate a new one at http://secure.kerio.com/reg

Third, make sure your license is in the right location! It should be in a file called 'license.key' (all lowercase) in a folder called license (again all lower case) which should be in the same directory as the mailserver binary (mailserver.exe). The folder and the key should not have any special permissions defined on them.

If all three of the above are true, it would seem something really is going on. If that's the case, please submit a ticket to us at http://support.kerio.com (and reference this post) and we'll get in contact with you.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
binary

thanks joshua,

yes subcription is till August 06 , os is same ... am trying the whole procedure again ..will submit ticket if problem occurs..

cheers.

**EDIT.
ok sorted it out... this time i didn't click finish at the end of the KMS installer(after the prompt saying that user and mailserver cfg files are created) thus preventing KMS from starting). minimized the window(still haven't clicked finish). Go to the KMS install dir and OVERWRITE the mailserver and user cfg files. put the license.key file into the currently empty license folder, use kmsrecover to recover the latest backup to the store... and then go back to the installer window & click finish... now KMS starts... and hopefully u get everything intact... which is what i got... :-) go on now and have a cold one knowing your back up plan works...

[Updated on: Wed, 15 March 2006 02:35]

Previous Topic: Mac Kerio Mail Server, Admin console causes Apple Remote Desktop alert message to come up on Sys Adm
Next Topic: Help me please on HTTPS
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 00:30:55 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00460 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.