Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to actually perform upgrade to 6.1.3
  •  
bting

Send a private message to this user
Sorry if these seem elementary but I am new enough to Kerio that this is our first upgrade.

Technical specs are
We are on KOC 6.1.2 now
Server matches KOC version and is on Fedora Core4.

My questions revolve around actually performing the upgrade. The admin guide does not have the details listed on how this is performed.

1)Am I to understand that I install the server component, according to the directions I have found, and then the next time the clients log on to the mail server, they are promted to perform upgrade? I assume the upgrade procedure for the clients is a to confirm they wish to perform the upgrade and rebooot or log off/log on when prompted?

2) The Outlook Connector upgrade file. Does this have to be on the server soemwhere or, is it contained in the upgrade file for the server?

3) Any pitfalls, with the act of upgrade itself, I should be prepared for? I am a 1 man IT show here with 100-ish mailboxes in 3 physical locations. If I need to be runnign between offices, I can, I just need to know what I am in for and plan accordingly.

Again, sorry if these are elementary or covered elsewhere, but I did look and could not find any definitive answers.

Thanks

Clearly a case of too many mad scientists and not enough hunchbacks
  •  
rencorp

1. Yep, Outlook running KOC will recognise that a later version is available (I believe it checks every time you start Outlook) and try and do the update automatically. A restart of Outlook is required to put the upgrade in place. I think it does this automatically as well for you.

2. The latest KOC is contained within the mailserver files - you don't need to worry about it. If things do go pear-shaped, you can always download the latest KOC from the website and install it manually.

3. As ever, make sure you have a backup before you start the upgrade. The built-in backup routine is good enough for this (in my experience). Also, make a copy elsewhere of the .cfg files in the main mailserver directory.

I do all the updates for my customer installations remotely over VPN links using telnet onto the Kerio server. This saves me a round trip of over 500 miles in one case. As long as your clients are on the latest patches for Windows and Office, you should be fine. Don't forget to restart the Kerio server after the upgrade.

Incedentally, I never found the command to do the upgrade in the manual (probably blind), although it sounds like you have. Just in case it is helpful, I use the following :-

# rpm -Uv --force kerio-mailserver.blah-blah.rpm

Seems to work everytime for me.

Gary
www.rencorp.co.uk

Kerio Certified Business Partner - Messaging
  •  
bting

Thank you much

I apprecitae the information

•  
mitch

Hi bting,

Rencorp's answers are all correct. Since it is your first upgrade and I have almost the exact same configuration (1 man, Fedora Core 4, about 100 users and recently upgraded from 6.1.2), I thought I would answer too, just to give you some additional confidence.

1) Always backup first. Then, download the new Server rpm and Admin Console. I always install the new Admin Console first, then the rpm. I have been upgrading regularly since version 5.x and have never had a single upgrade issue. I use:

/etc/init.d/keriomailserver stop
rpm -Uvh kerio-mailserver-x.x.x-linux.i386.rpm
/etc/init.d/keriomailserver start

(all of this takes less than 30 seconds)

When Outlook KOC is restarted on the client machines, it will recognize a new version exists, prompt the user and upgrade. This part has not always been so smooth for me, but worked great from version 6.1.2 to 6.1.3.

When it doesn't work "automatically", I have been able to fix the issue by manually uninstalling, downloading and installing the new version (a huge pain if you have a lot of users, I know). I usually test upgrades on a development server that has a few test users, just to make sure.

2) The Outlook Connector upgrade file is installed with the Server, so no need to worry about that separately.

3) As mentioned, I have never had any trouble upgrading the Server and have been since version 5. I have always done upgrades remotely, over SSH.

Although it doesn't answer your questions in much detail, the manual does have VERY brief sections about upgrading:
http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch03s05.html
http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch31s01.html

Also, on a semi-related note, Kerio has posted that there is a compatibility problem with Fedora Core 5. Do not upgrade Fedora until this has been resolved.

[Updated on: Wed, 22 March 2006 14:34]

•  
bting

Great info all

I jsut setting plans for doing a Domain controler upgrade/migration and this will then free up the server the DC is on now to make it the mail server (this is actually the beefiest server in the house). Leaving current server, which was always intented to be temp, as a development server.

Your talk of testing it on a development server first makes me think I will test it on the, now current server to see the upgrade in progress, and then with all of the other little hiccups that WILL happen during the upgrade, I will sneak it in and if any problems arise, I will blame it on the DC upgrade.
After all everyone, users too, loves to hate M$. And I love a patsy ;)

Previous Topic: Installing root certificate Entourage
Next Topic: TLS traffic to a different server?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 06:57:58 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.