Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS crash after connecting to public folders with entourage
  •  
rookie

Send a private message to this user
i made a few public folders, containing mostly "archived" emails and "public emails".
connecting through the web-interface seems to be no problem.
but when i open entourage and try to view one of those folders, the server crashes almoust every time.

these folders contain about 1500 mails each, and there are about four. is this really a problem? or what do you think could be the matter for this?

the mailserver is running on a xserve G5 2GHz single with 2GB of ram.

im still testing kerio, and looking forward to buy. kms is allmoust exactly what we need in our small architecture office.

it seems also, that kms through entourage is a little bit slow, loading the contents of a folder. is this because of entourage? is there any work-around for this?

[Updated on: Fri, 17 March 2006 17:05]

•  
Kerio_jthomas

We take crashes very seriously.

Can you please go to http://support.kerio.com and open a ticket? Make sure to mention your server is crashing. Give all the details you gave here. We will want to get some files from your server.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
rookie

well i submited a ticket, still didn't recieve a reply.
the problem is still here, and reproducable.
it just crashes when im clicking between our public folders for a few times.
its like it cannot manage the multiple transfers.

any suggestions?
the logs dont really show anything about a crash. or do i look in the wrong place?
  •  
rookie

to update this post:
we still have this problem, also with the updated version of kerio.
server is runnig with all avaiable updates (for kerio and osx)

and still, if you are connected through entourage exchange, the server crashes reproducable if i click around fast between our public folders witch contain about 1000 mails each.
it just happend this morning, and my chef asked me what's going on.

well i have to ask again: any suggestions? does anyone have the same problem?

---
system is:
xserve g5 2.0 single, 2GB RAM, OS X Server 10.4.6
kerio 6.1.4, 10 users created
---
  •  
Lyle M

Hi Rookie,

What version of Entourage are you using? I think v.X uses IMAP for "Exchange" style mail and 2004 uses WebDAV.
What exactly happens on the server side? Does the KMS process stop completely? Is there anything in the KMS log that offers any clues? Have you turned on the debug logs for IMAP (for v.X) or WebDAV and http (for 2004 Exchange)?
Is the problem only happening to your Entourage install, or on every workstation in your environment?
If it's just on your machine, have you tried empying the Entourage message cache for that account or creating a new Entourage "Identity" with fresh settings?

To beat up my connection (Ent 2004, KMS 6.1.4, Server 10.3.9), I clicked on three folders in my IMAP connected admin account. The folders contain our archives with about 16,000 messages in each folder. While the message headers were loading, I started wildly clicking on each of the folders that are in my personal Exchange style account. Those folders contain up to 2000 messages each. Fortunately, I did not crash our server (it is Friday at a daily newspaper - bad time to kill our email).

I did notice that loading the headers for the IMAP folders was slower than I feel it should be. I find this to be the case if I'm at home on my cable modem, or in the office at 100BT to the server. Our IMAP folder used to be MUCH slower than this, as we had a server pref file that was originally from the 6.0 beta install. Even with a proper set of IMAP pref settings, Entourage/IMAP just isn't very fast with KMS (our server is a G5/2000DP with 3GB and my workstation is a G5/2700DP - in case anyway wanted to blame my hardware - and no, I'm not bragging).

Obviously, a client should not be able to crash a server. I'm sure the Kerio folks are VERY interested in knowing how this is happening. I recently called Kerio US support and had one of their techs on the line within a minute. If you still haven't received a reply on your support ticket, you might want to just give them a call.
  •  
rookie

lylehm wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 18:17

Hi Rookie,

What version of Entourage are you using? I think v.X uses IMAP for "Exchange" style mail and 2004 uses WebDAV.
What exactly happens on the server side? Does the KMS process stop completely? Is there anything in the KMS log that offers any clues? Have you turned on the debug logs for IMAP (for v.X) or WebDAV and http (for 2004 Exchange)?
Is the problem only happening to your Entourage install, or on every workstation in your environment?

We're all using Entourage 2004 (11.2.3 all updates done) on our os x 10.4.6 Powermac G5, iMac G5 and Powerbook G4 Clients. The Crash is reproducable from various Clients.

As i described before, while clicking between Public folders (exactly as you tested it out) a few Times, the Server crashes. (To be exact: Not everytime, sometimes it takes moment of Clicking between them like an insane, but then another Time it just crashes suddenly.)

The Result of the "Crash" is a Message "Connection Lost" in Entourage, and of Course, the Web-Interface also stopped working.
On the Server-Monitor on our xServe, there is the Message "Server Crashed", and you can restart it with one click. (Will upload Screenshot if you like)

In searched through all those Logs and exept for a "Starting Kerio server etc.."-Message when the Server restarts, there is nothing about a Crash before.

I've had contact with Kerio Support, and i sent them all the Information (about the same i posted here) but we couldn't really find a solution, here's the last statement:

Quote:

your Server is Ok I suspect that it might be the clients please note that Entourage is a slow client please make sure that you have them configured in MS Exchange mode please also see http://www.kerio.com/manual/kms/en/ch33.html

please make sure that you have the latest server version 6.1.3 which has security patch

since i'm not really a hero speaking english, i had my concerns about making a phonecall. i thought i would understand only the half of it.
i would rather find a solution in this forum or by mail.

•  
MacDave

lylhem,

I think Rookie said he was clicking on Public Folders, as opposed to user IMAP mailboxes, which it sounds like what you might have been trying.

lylehm wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 09:17

Hi Rookie,

To beat up my connection (Ent 2004, KMS 6.1.4, Server 10.3.9), I clicked on three folders in my IMAP connected admin account. The folders contain our archives with about 16,000 messages in each folder.

Previous Topic: Rules generate server side errors
Next Topic: Need to have IIS SMTP and Kerio SMTP running together on server
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 00:23:42 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00493 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.