Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Blackberry Setup
  •  
catoxpress

Send a private message to this user
My worst nightmare. One of the owners for our company bought a Blackberry last night and has asked me to get it "set up". I've never used one and dread having to figure out how to get it set up to view email, contacts, etc.

All our users are set up with Outlook and KOC. What, if any, modifications need to be made in order to set this thing up so she can receive or view her email et al?

Help!
  •  
winkelman

I don't think you can use the Blackberry in its much hypes 'push' mode. This requires Blackberry server modules that are not available for KMS. (Only for Exchange and Lotus Notes afaik.)

you can setup the Blackberry to sync with Outlook/KOC like any other PDA, but I'm guessing your user wants all the bells & whistles of pushed email while on the go?
  •  
sedell

Watch out if you have a Caller ID record set up as well. The instructions in the knowledge base for the "Blackberry support" don't work if you have a Caller ID record, or from others who have Caller ID records set up.

Scott
  •  
bting

We have a couple of blackberry's here and they work fine.
But you have to subscribe to a servce provided by the blackberrry service provider. I am sorry I cannt remember what this is called.

You simply have your mail server accept the mail and forward it off to an email address setup by the blackberry provider, and then the blackberry gets the mail just fine.
It's actually a fairly nice solution if you only have a small number of blackberrys in yoru system.

Everyone else it right though, you cant push this direct to the berry with Kerio. Need Exchange or a RIM server for that.

Clearly a case of too many mad scientists and not enough hunchbacks
  •  
winkelman

bting wrote on Tue, 21 March 2006 19:09

You simply have your mail server accept the mail and forward it off to an email address setup by the blackberry provider, and then the blackberry gets the mail just fine.

Interesting.

What happens when the user responds to an email on his blackberry? Is this sent message also (somehow) succesfully saved in the Sent Items of his Kerio account? Or is this external provider only capable of delivering messages and not syncing back sent messages?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Yes, you can set up Blackberry to save copy of sent messages to the Sent Items folder in KMS.
For details see article "How to use the BlackBerry Internet Service with the Kerio MailServer" in our knowledge base: http://support.kerio.com/kb/228
  •  
winkelman

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Tue, 21 March 2006 19:42

see article "How to use the BlackBerry Internet Service with the Kerio MailServer" in our knowledge base: http://support.kerio.com/kb/228

My boss is going to be pleased... thanks for the pointer.

One more question:
How about calendar and contacts? I know calendar and contacts will not be synced while on the go. That's OK. But is it possible to sync the Blackberry to KMS (Outlook/KOC) locally, by connecting it to the PC? Does Blackberry provide a sync tool? This is how I currently succesfully sync my boss's Palm Treo 650. He would love to use the blackberry online for emailing, but he'd still want to sync his contacts and calendar when in the office.

If there are people here using Blackberries: what model? It would need to support at least about 1250 contacts...

[Updated on: Wed, 22 March 2006 12:11]

•  
Kerio_jwu

Calendar and Contact synchronization with a BlackBerry is only support with a POP or IMAP account, but not with KOC. The BlackBerry does come with a desktop sync software. Outlook sync should be supported by all BlackBerry versions.

One limitation of the email client on the BlackBerry is the ability to read attachments. There is a company, called Notify Technologies (http://www.notifylink.com), that offers true IMAP synchronization between the Kerio MailServer and the BlackBerry and the ability to read attachments.

NotifyLink can set up a connection between a handheld device and the Kerio MailServer in minutes with the hosted option. NotifyLink is the only service that provides support for BlackBerry, Palm, Pocket PCs, and smart phones, and allows you to control access from the server.

Notify offers a completely scalable enterprise solution as well as a hosted version for customers with only 1 or 2 mobile users. For more technical information and pricing please contact Notify at 408-777-7920, or sales<_at_>notifycorp.com.
  •  
winkelman

I can see the Kerio logo on the NotifyCorp's website and the hosted service seems very attractive as an easy way to set all this up.

I've sent them an email requesting more info, but I was wondering if the hosted service also supported syncing of the calendar and contacts?

Is there somebody here that uses Notifycorp's service and that can tell more about it?
  •  
Kerio_jwu

Hi Winkelman,

Everyone should send an email to sales<_at_>notifycorp.com. Mention where you are from so they can forward you to the appropriate account manager for your region. Be sure to mention that you are using the Kerio MailServer.

Notify currently does not support the calendar and contact sync yet, but if we have more people contacting them about the Kerio MailServer, it may help escalate development.
  •  
dcsf

I've read KB article 228 which provides a solution by forwarding mail from a user's KMS account to an account with the wireless carrier.

I know that Blackberry supports IMAP. Does KB 228 mean that the Blackberry's IMAP support is not compatible with KMS?
  •  
Kerio_jwu

BlackBerry's email access is restricted to a BES or through a hosted server from a wireless provider. I don't see a way you can point a BlackBerry to retrieve email from any IMAP server.

However, Treos, Pocket PCs and other smart phones can.
  •  
dcsf

sorry... i meant to say blackberry webclient (which is described in the kb article). what are the drawbacks to having the webclient make a connection to the kerio server?

thanks.
  •  
Kerio_jwu

The BlackBerry Webclient does not pull from any IMAP server. It pretty much acts as its own independent mail server, complete with its own email address. The only way a BlackBerry Webclient can receive emails being sent to your Kerio MailServer is by having the Kerio MailServer forward a copy of your emails to the BlackBerry Webclient account. If you are looking for true IMAP synchronization complete with your IMAP folders you should use the Notify client with the BlackBerry or use a Treo or Smart phone.
Previous Topic: Kerio MailServer 6.1.3
Next Topic: IMAP GETQUOTA
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 07:37:15 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00578 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.