Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Testing Kerio Firewall Trial- Cannot Send Email, can receive.
  •  
Gel214th

Send a private message to this user
Hello, I went with the defauly config for my Small Business with just about 7 computers connected to a central server, which is connected to a DSL modem.

So

Clients ---->[GB switch]--->(NIC 1) Server (NIC2) <------ DSL -------> Internet
(192.168.16) (192.168.0)

I cna receive emails, I can browse the web, I can associate Users with IPs and see Bandwidth usage and all those things.

I cannot, for some reason, SEND email.
I have SMTP in the protocols for the LAN and the NAT, and like I said I can receive.

But I cannot send. That's the only thing which isn't working correctly.

Can anyone help?
I had to uninstall it because of this.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2006 17:09]

•  
winkelman

Sending email and receiving email use completely seperate protocols. So being able to receive email doesn't say that much about the ability to send email.

The SMTP server you use for sending email is on the internet or do you have your own SMTP server? What email client are you using? Can you ping the SMTP server from a workstation that is unable to send email?
  •  
Gel214th

The SMTP server is on the internet, not internal.
Using Outlook 2003.
I could not connect to port 25 on the SMTP server when I tried a telnet session.
But I can receive emails from the same server.
  •  
winkelman

You do have the correct, ougoing, NAT-ed Traffic Policy setup for port 25?

Can you telnet to the SMTP server from the KWF machine itself (possibly while KWF is not running)? If so: this would confirm some configuration problem in KWF. If not: the problem probably lies elsewhere.
  •  
Gel214th

Oh..no. The telnet was the wrong way to test apparently.
But, basically, it could not communicate with the server on the SMTP port. I can receive emails perfectly and send perfectly without Kerio installed.

I am certain there was a misconfiguration, I just cannot figure out what it was. And the next day I had to remove Kerio before people started filtering into work.

Also, the SMTP port is setup via the 'SMTP protocol' name on the LAN and NAT rules by default.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2006 18:00]

•  
winkelman

Actually, telnetting is a perfect way to test SMTP connectivity, as long as you telnet to port 25 (and not the standard telnet port) of course.
  •  
Gel214th

Any idea what the misconfiguration might have been in this case?
The error is occuring with more than one outgoing email server.

[Updated on: Tue, 21 March 2006 18:07]

•  
winkelman

And what do you mean by
Quote:

LAN and NAT rules

You only need 1 rule for SMTP, something like this:

Name: bla bla bla
Source: LAN network adapter (if all of your LAN should be able to connect to this SMTP server)
Destination: Internet network adapter
Service: SMTP (or port 25)
Action: Allow
Log: normally not, maybe turn on connection logging during testing
Translation: default NAT (if that is what you use, should be the same as all your other outgoing rules)
Protocol Inspector: default (if you want to be able to filter/virusscan/etc.) or None if you do not want to 'monitor' this traffic.
  •  
Gel214th

After it was giving problems I believe I manually added the SMTP protocol to the LAN or NAT rules section of Winroute, whichever section was missing it.

But this did not help the problem.

I was even wondering if perhaps SMTP sending was blocked because I was testing a Trial version of WinRoute 6?
  •  
winkelman

There is no thing called 'LAN or NAT rules section' in KWF...

The trial is only time limited (30 days or so) and does not have any other limitations...
  •  
Gel214th

Ohs. Confused
Soooo...

Do you know what the problem may have been since I used the default settings that Kerio setup?
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

You should enable debug logging of SMTP protocol inspector for troubleshooting. Also check that your client does not use STARTTLS (secure SMTP) as it is disabled by default in SMTP protocol inspector.
  •  
winkelman

I guess you only ran the 'configuration wizard' and never actually looked at the Kerio configuration? Maybe you should start the Administration Console, take a good hard look at the manual and if you then create the rule I proposed above I'm sure it will be fine.

OF course assuming you use normal SMTP and nothing encrypted etc. That would change the traffic rules...
Previous Topic: Slow Internet
Next Topic: Kerio WinRoute + Cisco VPN Client 4.6
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 18:35:17 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00523 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.