Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Submitted this to them, Conf Room/Location/Creator Calendar Issue
  •  
mergy

Send a private message to this user
Submitted to Kerio Support for feature change.

Basically, I think Kerio could get the basic calendar/resource thing down if they just did a minor thing - namely allow public calendar objects to have an attribute (checkbox) called 'Public Location' and allow people to include them in their meetings. They would also have to include the functionality to link these flagged public calendars to meetings.

This way, you could still use the freeform location text field or choose one of these public calendar locations. I think this would basically solve the hassle of doing what has to be done now

1. create an event on the public calendar we created for each conference room
2. put the name of the room in the 'location' text of the meeting
3. invite people and invite self (or do a copy event to individual calendar).

Boy, just doing something like that would fix a huge gap.

Jonathan
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

In Outlook, look at the following:

Tools -> Options -> Preferences -> Calendar Options -> Resource Scheduling

This will do all of what you want; but we don't support it yet. It's on our list.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
mergy

Well the goal really is to have meetings at resources and have the resources centrally managed and have people be able to look and see if the resource is available.

Jonathan
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Which is exactly what the Resource Scheduling options allow =)

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
mergy

Great but it looks as though it does it globally for the Outlook user/profile and not for the resource (specific public calendar that all people use independent of the particular Outlook user going into this setting option).

I guess we could setup users for conference rooms rather than just calendars, but if that could do it I guess that would be an option.

Jonathan
  •  
adamsca

I am also interested in a solution to this issue. What is the timeline for Kerio to support the Tools -> Options -> Preferences -> Calendar Options -> Resource Scheduling in Outlook?

I am in an office of 50 individuals. We have 4 conference rooms and regulary schedule meetings with groups and in addition, we schedule a conference room. We would ALL like to be able to view the calendar with conference room appointments as well as add appointments to it as we schedule our group.

So, considering what I need, what is currently the best way to approach this problem? Do I need to setup 4 Public Calendars, each named after a Conference Room?
  •  
winkelman

adamsca wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 01:33

Do I need to setup 4 Public Calendars, each named after a Conference Room?

That would seem the logical solution, yes.
  •  
mergy

Yes - that is the only way currently with Kerio to get something along the lines of what you want. This is what we have done.

The issue after you do this though is with permissions - these conference room calendars will be able to be edited by all and appointments can be deleted/added/overwritten at will because there is no sense of real permissions that would not allow someone to delete/remove someon else's appointment.

Also, there is no sense of this conference room being a location in events, so you end up having to create an event at the conference room calendar, inviting the various people (and losing the participant status) and writing the conference room name in the location then copying it to your local calendar (or inviting yourself to the meeting you create on the conference room calendar).

Less than ideal, but operational.

Jonathan
  •  
Lyle M

Could you have individual user accounts named for each resource? Anyone could invite the conference room to the meeting and see if it's busy using the free/busy server.

I guess the downside is that there would have to be someone with access rights to those resource accounts to accept the invitations.

I haven't tried this yet, so don't flame me if I'm way off base! :-)

Cheers,
Lyle
  •  
sparhawk

lylehm wrote on Thu, 13 July 2006 20:23

I guess the downside is that there would have to be someone with access rights to those resource accounts to accept the invitations.

Cheers,
Lyle

-= Lyle =-

No flame here, just a confirmation. This is a big downside - it requires that there be a central resource moderator to Accept or Decline the event request. By definition, that then is not a shared resource - that is a whole other user, just like a person.

The real need, here, is for a handling mechanism that allows users to invite a resource to a meeting, just as they would for any user, but that does not require intervention from a person acting on behalf of that resource. As the current system stands, it would be more efficient for me to set up a a piece of paper at the resource that allows people to claim a timeslot - which defeats the purpose of using the Kerio system.

People should be able to see if the resource is available or taken at a given time, reserve it if it is available, but not be able to remove someone else's reservation. A basic function for resource mangement, really.

Anyone know of any timeframes for the feature addition?

-= Mack =-

-= James M. Macknik =-
Dir. of Technology
Sparhawk School
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hear, and I forget.
I see, and I remember.
I do, and I understand.
~ Chinese Proverb
  •  
Lyle M

Hi Mack,

No offense taken. We're all just trying to find ways to get the system to do what we want while we wait for the proper feature to be added.

With most of the major bugs out of the way, it's reasonable for us to expect an increase in the speed of feature releases. Although Kerio employees do tend to watch the forums, the correct way to request a feature is documented here:

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&th=8390&star t=0&S=9d2067d62a647921e50aed9213a1c87e

Cheers,
Lyle
  •  
Tr!une

Quote:

Could you have individual user accounts named for each resource? Anyone could invite the conference room to the meeting and see if it's busy using the free/busy server.

I haven't tried this yet, so don't flame me if I'm way off base! :-)

Cheers,
Lyle

I am looking at this also. I imported our AD users and got the Resources also. So I try adding a conference room as a Resource in the meeting schedule. It requires someone to accept the invitation. I tried setting up the conference room user to "Automatically accept meeting requests..." but that didn't work.

We are looking at moving from Exchange to KMS but this is a heavily used item. Any outlook on when this feature might be implemented would be appreciated.

I know you don't release dates, but is this feature request something high on the priority list?
  •  
Tr!une

Interesting note.

As I was testing this process I discovered something useful. I created the public folder for the conference room, made everyone an "Editor" and started testing meetings and the "alarm" function.

Well if the "Meeting Organizer" doesn't get a copy in their own calendar. UNLESS they add themselves as a "Required Attendee". If the organizer adds their own email as a required attendee, then there is a prompt to "update your own Calendar".

This is actually a decent work around to the lack of Resources in KMS.

•  
Lyle M

Hi Tr!une,

Sorry this is a little late, but THANKS for the info!

All the best,
Lyle
stewie

Hi, new to the forum & a potentially a new user (we're evaluating it right now). We're also curious about this feature. The 6.5 manual mentions you can select an invitee as a resource but that's about it.

Can someone please give us an update on this feature? Or any new workarounds? (I've read some on the forums but they seem less than ideal.)

TIA!
Previous Topic: KMS / Activesync WM6.0
Next Topic: LDAP Error
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 12:29:18 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00616 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.