Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » MAPI performance
  •  
Simon Barr

Send a private message to this user
Hi, I'm currently evaluating KMS to see if we can use it to replace our home brewed Linux email servers here at work.

So far I have been very impressed with KMS, loads of features and very easy to setup. The webmail is particularly good, as are the shared folders\calendars.

I can see us rolling this out but for one thing, Outlook is sloooooww. Using a folder with 87 mails for tests I get the following results:-

select all - 5 seconds
right click - 5 seconds
mark as read - 30 seconds

Using XP fully patched and Office 2003 fully patched, antivirus on or off makes no difference. KOC and KMS are latest versions.

All of these tasks are near enough instant using webmail so I don't think the the server is the problem here. Kerio support in the UK reckon it's a MAPI problem but have no answers.

Anyone got any MAPI tuning tips?

Cheers,

Simon.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

'Read All' is known to be slow. It has to do with how MAPI marks messages as read, by loading them entirely into memory and changing attributes.

It's something we will most likely not have fixed until KOC offline mode - caching will greatly speed up the performance.

Select All and right click should not be that slow. What sort of hardware are you using (on client, and on server)? Is your network a 100mbps switched network?

Cheers,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
Simon Barr

Kerio_jthomas wrote on Tue, 28 March 2006 18:03

'Read All' is known to be slow. It has to do with how MAPI marks messages as read, by loading them entirely into memory and changing attributes.

It's something we will most likely not have fixed until KOC offline mode - caching will greatly speed up the performance.

Joshua,

The server is a 1Gig Athlon running Linux with 640MB Ram and IDE drive using DMA, the client a 2.4Gig P4 and 1Gig RAM. It's all strung together using a 100M switch.

The speed issue only shows up in Outlook, webmail is fine. The server is just ticking over when this is going on, but Outlook on the PC shows around 50% load.

Selecting lots of mails and changing their status isn't everyday behaviour for most of my users but I just know that someone will run into this problem and throw all theirs toys out of the pram, and I'll be to blame :-). I on the otherhand do quite often move around 40/50 mails around and it is very noticable having the delay.

Does Exchange suffer from the same problem? Not that I want to go down that road.

How long before the offline mode KOC is avaialble then?

Thanks,

Simon
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Offline mode is a huge part of our development work right now, but I can't provide estimates of when it would be done.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
Simon Barr

Hi,

I did search the forum before posting and saw those posts, I was hoping that there may be a way of speeding MAPI up somehow.

The speed issue with Outlook is the only thing that lets down an otherwise excellent product, I hope that they can sort it out and soon.

Disabling AV and other plugins made no difference at all, so I guess that the problem lies with KOC.

Please, Kerio, put some effort into fixing this and fast. I can't believe that anyone would put up with this level of performance. Maybe my problems are worse than others for some reason, I hope so. I've got three sites that I'd love to roll KMS out on but at the moment I'm unsure because of this problem. It fits the bill perfectly in every other respect.

Still looking for a fix...

Cheers,

Simon
  •  
catoxpress

I agree, it's been a long time coming. Speed is the number one complaint in our organization of about 120 users. I've tried everything. There is only one solution and that is offline caching.

I suspect Kerio is aware of this and is working diligently to get this feature implemented. Don't expect that they will leak anything about this feature when it gets close. Their no tell policy was basically born out of this feature alone.

Let's all just hope that it is soon.
  •  
Simon Barr

How do you guys find KMS in general service, are your users happy with it?

We've got three seperate sites here and I'm thinking of deploying KMS on each to replace our home brewed Linux solution. Each site has around 25-30 users, with some VPN users on two of the sites. The other guy here I'm doing the testing with thinks the speed problem won't be an issue, but I'm not so sure.

I'd love to know how you get on with KMS day to day, is it stable, etc?

Cheers,

Simon
  •  
peterj

It depends how may users will use KOC and where they are...

Obviously the remote VPN users cannot use KOC - they should stick with webmail (Probably express version) or IMAP.

KOC is slow even at 100MBPS unless users keep their mailboxes small.
  •  
winkelman

We are very happy here with KMS. We're all (~80 users) on webmail. KOC is installed on 4 PC's. One guy is actually using Outlook and the other 3 work in Webmail, but Outlook/KOC is used for background Palm syncing.

I've had my share of issues with previous KMS versions, but since 6.1.2 stability seems fine.
  •  
peterj

Well all I can say is that not using Outlook doesn't give a measure of performance.

When you are synching in the background the latency & hanging is not likely to be noticed, but it's there.

PS: - Does anyone know if the bug activesynching WM5 devices has been fixed yet? I haven't heard anything...

[Updated on: Thu, 30 March 2006 20:07]

•  
shaggie16

I have been having this arguement with Kerio UK about MAPI performance and offline caching. The other problem currently with no offline caching is that within outlook, shared calendars cannot be named. They all appear titles "calendar" which isn't much use if you have 20 other users calendars!

There is an unofficial naming tool to help with this, it runs server side, but only if the server is Windows, which doesn't help in most of my clients cases!

Anyways, I had a long a conversation with them last month, and they told me between 8 months and 12 months (from beginning of March 2006) for offline caching. They did HINT that that timescale was a pessimistic view, and I sincerely hope it is. We shall see.

MS
  •  
sedell

shaggie16 wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 02:08

Anyways, I had a long a conversation with them last month, and they told me between 8 months and 12 months (from beginning of March 2006) for offline caching. They did HINT that that timescale was a pessimistic view, and I sincerely hope it is. We shall see.

Better not go around telling people that, or the mods will delete your posts like they did mine. It's better to squash the truth than to let customers know they can't deliver offline caching to improve MAPI performance and offer an offline mode.

Scott
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

You post was inappropriate, as were many others. I welcome discussion of our product, but I will not allow "bashing" of our business.

This thread has gone off topic. I have said that we are working on offline mode. That is enough.

This thread is now locked.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

Previous Topic: Mcafee AV Updates
Next Topic: Mac File Associations
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 10:31:49 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00551 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.