Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail quotas handling...
  •  
mirovo

Send a private message to this user
Hi,
from time to time I have to fight with the quotas system in KMS. Specially whem users use KOC. Because there is not an easy way to find out the actual disk space usage, besides one possibility in the properties of the mail folder - this counts even shared subforders (which don't make sens) and takes a long time...
So when user reaches the warning level (fact. default is 90%), KMS sends him the warning message. But, very often users don't reflect this immediately and some more messages arrive... so actual space usage rises to e.g. 95%. And now user decide to clean up his m-box - deletes some messages, but they represent only for example 4%. In this situation there is no chance for users to be warned again (95-4=91>90, no another warning message...) and it's only matter of time the m-box will get stucked.

My question is If anyone has deal with this behavior and If he solved it succesfully?

IMHO this can help:
- when the limit is reached, KMS will send (last allowed) message with warning that box is full and gets stucked (2-level warning: 90% and 100% instead of current 1-level one)
- maybe pop-up warning message window in KOC, that appears while outlook starts and quota is reached
- better way to find qouta utilization in KOC, like in webmail
- solution mentionet in thread linked below
- or another way???

I've searched this forum for "quota" and found this thread http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=29429 (1/2 year old), where Joshua Thomas said, that he'd made feature reguest, but still nothing has changed with it... I'm thinking about to renew this f. request.

Thanks for your opinions, S4 bad english...
  •  
winkelman

I really would like the 'two thresholds' feature. Threshold 1, users can't send mail anymore, threshold 2, users can't receive anymore.

Furthermore, my stance is that users get a message at 90% and should act on it. If they don't, that's their problem and they may need to take the warnings more seriously if mail is important to them. And hey, if the user only cleans out 4%, he should either try harder and clean out more or the Admin should give him higher quota.

But I'm talking from a webmail perpective, where users can easily check their quota. I guess in KOC it's not that obivous and yes, 1 warning message is easily overlooked. Maybe KMS should resend the 90% every day?
  •  
mirovo

winkelman napsal dne St, 29 b°ezen 2006 12:09

But I'm talking from a webmail perpective, where users can easily check their quota. I guess in KOC it's not that obivous and yes, 1 warning message is easily overlooked. Maybe KMS should resend the 90% every day?

Yes, webmail situation is quite different due to the quota statistics. In KOC if you try to write and then send new message, when the qouta is reached, error message window will appear. This box contains error code and information rather for programmers but not for user, who don't know what to do next. "There is no more space in your mail box, ..." would be better.

BTW your idea of resending quota warning every day is good and simple.
  •  
Soup

I started that other topic and would still love to see this feature, it remains one the biggest reasons for people in our company complaining to me about KMS. The result is that I generally have to give them larger mail boxes as making them miss important emails from clients is not an option.

Mind you, at the rate my users quota's are becomming corupted (user_stats.cpp: Storage quota for user falls below zero) the quota system is starting to become a bit pointless anyway. I really hope there will be a solution to this soon

Paul.

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
Previous Topic: A good list of Internet Blacklist ?
Next Topic: Out of office and spam.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 21:31:57 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00371 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.