Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » OS X Mail client authentication problems
  •  
mhason

Send a private message to this user
Hello,

I am currently testing KMS 6.1.3 for windows, and experiencing an authentication problem.

I configured SMTP relay for authenticated users ans POP3 relay window of 10 minutes.

Windows clients are sending emails out through the server just fine, but mac client (Apple Mail 2.0.7) is not authenticating at all with the server. The only way I was able to send an email with a mac client was by selecting the 'open relay' option on the server, but I am not going to do that in a production system.

I tryed to completely delete the account on the client and recreate it but nothing happened. As soon as I hit the 'send' button the relaying error is received.

Can anyone suggest a solution? 50% of the users are mac users here.

Thanks in advance
Maurice
  •  
sonofcolin

It should work. What authentication method are you using in Mail.app?

What do you have set in Advanced Options >> Security Policy >> Enabled Authentication methods?
  •  
mhason

I set Mail.app to password authentication.

In the advanced options, I left the defaults;
Security Policy: No restriction
Enabled authentication methods: all checked
Allow NTLM...: unchecked
Enable account lockout: checked

Tryed again several times but it is not working on the mac.
I tryed to change in Mail.app the authentication method to all the available options and it didn't work either.

Also, checking the server log I didn't see any relaying attempts that are blocked by the server, there is nothing in the log, unless I remove the password authentication in Mail.app and try to relay directly without authenticating.

Thanks
Maurice
  •  
sonofcolin

Can you see POP3 connections from a Mac in the debug log? Are the Mac's on the same network as the Windoze clients? Firewall problem?

What error does Mail.app give?

Turn on remote pop3 download logging in the debug menu if it isn't aleady checked.
  •  
mhason

sonofcolin wrote on Fri, 31 March 2006 04:08

Can you see POP3 connections from a Mac in the debug log? Are the Mac's on the same network as the Windoze clients? Firewall problem?

What error does Mail.app give?

Turn on remote pop3 download logging in the debug menu if it isn't aleady checked.

I couldn't find where to turn on the pop3 download logging, but the problem is not when downloading (receiving email) only when sending.

I am testing in an isolated network so other computers should not be the issue. I tested with both IMAP and POP3 accounts. No problem receiving emails with both. From Windows no problem relaying with simple password authentication.

However on Mac, with Mail.app, receiving works fine but sending results in a pop-up:
Cannot send the message using the server mail.xxx.xxxx, and it gives the option to select a different mail server to send out the message.

No logs on the server about this anywhere.
I have no clue why this is happening, it should be very simple and straighforward, but I can confirm it happened from 2 different Macs, and it worked fine from 2 different PC's and a Windows based handheld as well.

Could this be a possible bug? I am considering uninstalling this version (6.1.3) and trying an older one.

Maurice
  •  
sonofcolin

We use mail.app to send authenticated SMTP mail with 6.1.3, so I doubt it is a bug.

What type of authentication is mail.app using to send mail? Check your PM. I sent you a screenshot of mail.app smtp settings.
  •  
mhason

That's exactly how authentication is set up here. I am waiting for the installation CD of Entourage and will try with it and let you know.

Maurice
  •  
sonofcolin

On the os x machine, open the terminal and type this:
telnet name.of.remote.mail.server 25
Or use the IP address if it's on an internal network.

What do you get?
  •  
mhason

I get this:

Trying 68.xxx.xxx.xxx...
Connected to mail.xxx.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 *************************

Tryed with Entourage, problem persists, on Mac only. Windows works fine.
  •  
mhason

I created a new account in a new domain.
When setting Mail.app, I traced the connection verification at setup time and got this in the log:

[01/Apr/2006 19:18:19] Failed IMAP login from XXX.XX.XX.XXX, authentication method NTLM

I tried to enable NTLM authentication but got the same error.

[Updated on: Sat, 01 April 2006 19:59]

•  
jimsky7

Are your Mac clients using IMAP? Is Kerio 6.1.3 set to serve IMAP?

I have many Mac clients, including myself, using 6.1.3 and although there are minor problems (mostly Eudora and "timing" problems), nothing like what you are reporting. Some of my clients use Mail - I use Entourage.
  •  
gmsmith

Any resolution to this long standing issue? I had a similar problem in version 6 and have not been able to come up with a solution. One of my clients wants to now start using Mail.app (as opposed to Entourage with an Exchange connection) and I need to be able to do authenticated outbound email.

•  
sonofcolin

It works for us, so I don't think this is a global problem with KMS.
  •  
gmsmith

What clients and what server are you using? I assume 6.3.1 patch 1.

We are running on RH 6.3.1 patch 1. Clients are Mail.app from Tiger 10.4.6 and Entourage with SP2 and latest patching.

All authentication methods are enabled....nothing works to send authenticated email.
sonofcolin

gmsmith wrote on Thu, 13 April 2006 15:10

What clients and what server are you using? I assume 6.3.1 patch 1.

We are running on RH 6.3.1 patch 1. Clients are Mail.app from Tiger 10.4.6 and Entourage with SP2 and latest patching.

All authentication methods are enabled....nothing works to send authenticated email.

OS X server 10.4.6 KMS 6.1.3P1. Mail clients are mail.app (10.4.6), Entourage, Outlook and 'The Bat!'

Authentication is SSL/plain on port 465.
Previous Topic: Problems with spam
Next Topic: KMS + Outlook Connector = public iCal?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:52:01 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00577 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.