Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Puremessage
  •  
Marc_k

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I want to use Sophos Puremessage as an external Virus and Spam scanner with Kerio Mailserver, is this possible?

Thanks

Marc
  •  
BudDurland

That's what we do here. I have an old 1Ghz athlon machine w/512mb running Windows 2000 server, PM (virus only) and ORF (http://www.vamsoft.com/orf) for anti-spam. Works very well.

When I tested the linux-based PureMessage anti-virus/anti-spam, I wasn't overly impressed. The web interface for users was kinda cool, but I didn't like the lack of configurability for things like DNS black lists, scoring, grey listing, etc. I also didn't like the jump in $$ from AV only to AV & AS. ORF was more cost effective.

Good is better than evil because it's nicer
--Mammy Yokum
  •  
germanr

What version of puremessage do you plan to use? There is the Small business & Enterprise Version for Windows, and there is also a Unix version.

Sophos Small Business edition don't have the SAVI interface that is used by KMS for scanning mails, so I don't think that it would be suitable.

For the enterprise version you should set it up listening in port 25 and delivering the mails to a non standard port such as 26 where KMS should be configured.

I don't know how to set up the unix version.

But as a matter of fact if i were you, unless using
Puremessage for unix that is great far more sophisticated (has a built in web server so that users can clasify the quaentined messages), I would reccomend you to use Sophos for virus scanning which is excellent and use KMS built in spamassasin. You will save money and Spamassasin has better features.

Regards

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
Marc_k

Thanks for the quick response!

I am using the Small Business Edition, which does have SAVI, but only for Virus scanning, not for spam.

I have tried the built in Spamassassin, but was dissapointed in a couple of things:

You can't scan words in the body of a mail for banned words / phrases.
There is no user quarantine facility.
Out of 10 emails I received, 9 were spam, only 1 of these was identified as spam, the others were let thru.

Thanks

Marc
  •  
Marc_k

Hi,

I have been running PM for Anti-Virus and Spam for almost a year and have very good results.

Is there any way you could post details of how you configured PM?

Thanks
  •  
germanr

Sorry, what i tried to say is that for the built in KMS antivirus plug-in you needed Sophos enterprise version. Sophos SBE Puremessage will scan perfectly but externally.

For using puremessage without exchange you have to use it using IIS (internet information services) of Windows. There you configure the listening ports and the ports and IP to where drop the messages.

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
Marc_k

Could you give me some more info on the actual IIS config?
  •  
germanr

You should contact Sophos for further info. I don't use it that way, but here is some links that can be useful:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303734&Product=iis50

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/141/09/1.html

http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBN/tip6700/rh6757.htm

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
Previous Topic: Group definition
Next Topic: Server Crash, now public folders & contents are considered emails.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 20:40:16 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00484 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.