Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » wither kerio?
  •  
mergy

Send a private message to this user
We are a couple months + in now on Kerio Mailserver and we are getting some flack for the lack of offline support with the Outlook connector.

Kerio has to do something about this and allow offline w/ the groupware functionality. Saying it is a client issue isn't going to cut it when you are competing with a system that people will constantly ask about (Exchange).

I know others have expressed concern on this, but we some glimmer of hope on this or we will have to look elsewhere.

Jonathan
  •  
gerco

You are lucky that you are a latecomer to this issue...

I have been waiting for offline support for the KOC (& the performance improvement which would hopefully accompany it) for almost an entire year & even Kerio's latest guess it that we are 6-9months away from the first release with offline caching.

(In any case it will no doubt take about 3 months to fix the bugs even after the release.)

Kerio seem to think we can just put up with the problem indefinitely & ignore the clear fact that V6 should never have been released without offline support.

Using KMS has certainly made me appreciate our old Exchange system..! Whilst the server side & admin console is fantastic there seems to be little concern about the desperately poor client/user experience.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Look folks. We've heard the desire for offline mode, over and over and over. Complaining about it will not make it show up and faster.

It is literally the number one priority for the entire company right now. We are delaying other features and requests to get offline mode done as soon as possible.

We dropped two major products (Kerio Personall Firewall and Kerio Server Firewall) to focus our resources on the MailServer.

Engineering an offline mode is no small task. We can not go back in time and change the choices we have made.

Please be patient. I can't promise anything in firm timelines.

However if you really need offline mode "soon" I will be honest and say you should go look at Exchange or another solution.

Eventually we will have a public beta for the offline mode, but until then I literally from company policy can not say anything about it nor any of us.

Thanks for understanding,
Joshua

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
carlPjohnson

I am with you, offline is important. But have you used the competitors that have offline such as Alt-n Mdaemon or Communigate, they suck even worse and they have it cached on the local machine. I think I will wait, hopefully not too long.
  •  
mergy

Understood.

I think everyone who goes in and gets a mailsystem that is NOT Exchange better be ready to handle critics and I am sure all of us can handle a decent load from our userbase.

But there is a point, and I am not there yet but others may be there now, where you don't need the heat anymore. It will be interesting to see when that point comes for me and my company.

Jonathan
  •  
gerco

Will you be refunding the cost of KMS for all those customers who take your advice & migrate to Exchange Server...?

•  
gerco

hmmm....

I expect a cheque is in the post..?
  •  
cohcon

If your users need to have constant access to their email, there are several options, i.e. webmail, pop3, imap...

imap can keep offline copies of regular mail users who do not want to use POP3.

I mostly use thunderbird for this and it works really well for my needs, but in Outlook 2003:

Go to Tools -> Options -> Mail Setup -> Send/Recieve -> All Accounts -> Edit

Select the Inbox, and check "Download complete item including attachments." This tells Outlook to include the Inbox when sending and receiving.

As far as Kerio refunding anyone money... They allow you to pull the entire product down and use it, abuse it, and evaluate it for a month for free, they have an outstanding support staff, and are usually pretty honest about issues. If you didn't properly evaluate the product as to whether it meets your company needs, then that is on you, not kerio. Josh is just being honest about the status of the feature and what you need to do if this is something that you must have now.

Hope this helps,
Conn

•  
mergy

We are now evaluating Zimbra currently. I will not continue this thread now that I know Kerio has acknowledged this is a major issue, yet is unwilling to provide a path to a solution.

We will NOT be going the Exchange route and we will not be seeking a refund of anytype for Kerio (that is not cool). They have a product, we bought it and now we have to deal with it.

Jonathan

Jonathan
  •  
gerco

Well it seems to me that KMS sells on the basic of an 'untruth'

Quote:

"Provides the collaborative functionality of Microsoft Exchange"

Having been chasing after Exchange's customers for the past year on the basis of this assertion they now suggest "if you want the collaborative stuff go back to Exchange"

Perhaps Kerio would at least agree to refund their customers subscriptions for the last year (during the time offline mode has been promised for).

And... let's not forget that there have been two major price hikes for the product already & they still haven't managed offline caching because they have presumably been too busy fighting to fix buggy releases...?
  •  
winkelman

Quote:

Well it seems to me that KMS sells on the basic of an 'untruth'
Quote:

"Provides the collaborative functionality of Microsoft Exchange"

I don't see how offline caching is a 'collaborative functionality'.

Besides, you can't be wanting Exchange, then buy something else than Exchange and then complain it is not exactly Exchange. If you want Exchange so bad, than maybe you should have bought Exchange?

More importantly: nowhere is stated that offline caching 'like in Exchange' is a feature. Moreover: don't buy software (or anything else for that matter) before you've tested all your companies requirements. Maybe you did not do your own job as well as you should have and you're now trying to blame someone else?

[Updated on: Sat, 22 April 2006 22:04]

•  
gerco

Quote:

I don't see how offline caching is a 'collaborative functionality'

Without offline caching Kerio's collaborative functions are useless. (Unless you can live with webmail)

1) What good is the KOC if laptop users cannot open outlook offline.

2) The speed of the KOC will never be satisfactory until offline caching.

Quote:

not exactly Exchange

I woud rather have a working KMS any day rather than Exchange but the current situation is ludicrous. IMAP/POP3 email servers are common as muck.. KMS sells on the basis being an "exchange replacement", obviously it will never be as good as exchange in terms of compatibility as it is the industry standard but it must be fit for purpose.
  •  
carlPjohnson

I evaluated Zimbra and the Outlook/Mapi connector is ok but requires you to purchase the enterprise/small business version which has pretty high her head cost (yearly, that sucks), you might as well buy Scalix, Notes, or even Exchange.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

winkelman wrote on Sat, 22 April 2006 13:02

Moreover: don't buy software (or anything else for that matter) before you've tested all your companies requirements.

Dan, you have no idea how much this happens to us =) I think Ken actually has a term for it now...

[Updated on: Mon, 24 April 2006 10:23]

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
gmsmith

Zimbra is priced competatively to Kerio...given that the base license of Zimbra has 50 users.

Offline functionality would be great, but not critical for most of my users. The responsibility falls on the testor to ensure all requirements are met. If Kerio doesn't do it, so be it...but you have no one to blame but yourself for not doing your research and testing.
Previous Topic: Filter by domain from another country
Next Topic: KMS & Entourage 2004 SP2 + Exchange + IMAP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 17:21:34 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00500 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.