Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » What's the preferred Windows OS for KMS?
  •  
winkelman

Send a private message to this user
I'm running KMS on Windows 2000 Server for about a year now and planning to migrate it to a new server (reason: need faster and more reliable storage; now on PATA 7.2k RAID-1, migrating to SCSI 15k RAID-1).

What is the preferred (if any) Windows OS to run KMS on? I need to purchase a new OS anyhow, so now is a good time to make the best choice. The most obvious choice is Windows Server 2003 R2, but perhaps KMS is better of on WinXP? Win2k? Win2k Server? Cost is not an issue. (Linux is not an option.)
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

KMS will run just fine on:

Windows XP Pro (NOT HOME)
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2003 Server

varations of Server, like Enterprise, Small Business, etc.

KMS is not recommended on Win2K Pro. Most likely it works, but we're not testing it and it's no longer supported by MSFT.

For KMS you won't gain anything directly from a Windows Server OS, except for what the OS itself provides: Better management, support for larger memory (ie Enterprise goes up to 128GB of RAM), and so on.

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
winkelman

Kerio_jthomas wrote on Fri, 21 April 2006 18:58

For KMS you won't gain anything directly from a Windows Server OS, except for what the OS itself provides: Better management, support for larger memory (ie Enterprise goes up to 128GB of RAM), and so on.

Thanks for your reply.

Hm, so there's no 'Kerio reason' to pay ~600,- for a server OS if XP Pro offers exactly the same stability for KMS?

Is this also true for Kerio Winroute Firewall? (I know, wrong forum :-) (KWF also runs on the same box.)

And would this remain true in the foreseeable future?

And would all this still be true in cases of AD integration (planned in future)?

Sorry for all these questions, just trying to create the best possible Kerio machine.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

"Best" is almost always a function of your needs and not an optimum for all people.

If you are running a large KMS server in a large, managed environment, or want to run other services on the same server - a server OS might be your way to go.

However it is quite possible to get by on Windows XP Pro. It reduces the total cost of the product, and we're happy that it does =)

AD integration doesn't have anything to do with the OS you're running on.

KWF is similar.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
sedell

Don't forget Windows XP Pro has a limit of 10 concurrent connections. That can wreak havoc on a busy server, especially with KOC as it seems to open multiple connections.

Scott
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

sedell, that limit applies only to Microsoft services.

Pure TCP/IP socket connections such as Kerio MailServer uses is not affected by this at all.

Joshua Thomas
Santa Clara, CA 95054

•  
sedell

I've seen XP "servers" that had problems that seemed to stem from connection limits. We even ran KMS on an XP box for a week out of necessity after a server hardware failure, and had trouble with connection errors and timeouts, especially from KOC users. XP just wasn't designed for that kind of use.

Additionally, not that I want to back Microsoft on this, but even if you can have more than 10 open connections at a time, it still voilates the EULA. Chances are slim that you'd get caught, but it's still technically illegal. I don't know about you, but we've been audited for Microsoft licensing before. It's not pleasant.

Scott
  •  
winkelman

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm gonna go with Server 2003 R2. May not be absolutely necessary, but I'm not taking any risks here.

Now that no one seems to be having any specific KMS issues limited to Server 2003 R2, that seems to be the safest Windows choice. Besides, it's a good idea to try getting all my server systems to the same platform, necessary or not :-)
  •  
carlPjohnson

Just one note, if you want the Kerio Active Extensions/Management to work I would suggest using R2 32bit, not 64bit. As this is currently broken.
  •  
jshaw541

winkelman wrote on Sat, 22 April 2006 13:10

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'm gonna go with Server 2003 R2. May not be absolutely necessary, but I'm not taking any risks here.

Now that no one seems to be having any specific KMS issues limited to Server 2003 R2, that seems to be the safest Windows choice. Besides, it's a good idea to try getting all my server systems to the same platform, necessary or not :-)

Use a server OS, don't use XP/2000. That's crazy, unless you have only 10 users or so.

I run the latest KMS version on 2003 R2 and it runs perfectly fine. My recommendation is 2003 SP1 or R2 (32-bit).

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
Previous Topic: Mailbox archiving
Next Topic: Two simple questions - New to Kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 05:42:29 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00500 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.