Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » VPN CLient has two addresses?
  •  
mct62

Send a private message to this user
On my desktop, with the latest VPN client installed, it seems to have two IP addresses associated with it. And yet, I'm not sure this is supposed to be the case. Is this normal? What is the function of the "second" address?

One of the two addresses is assigned by the VPN server once you connect. The other one seems to be controlled by what's in the Windows control panel settings. By default, it's trying to use dhcp - which never succeeds - [even though the main LAN address is set correctly by dhcp].

Win XP Pro SP2.

Thanks
-- Milt
  •  
frankxs

Yeah, I get the same thing. I believe it is normal. All works fine for me. I think it is this way because your VPN client is like a personal router. A router needs two IPs (outside/inside). The 169.x.x.x (or similar, I forgot exactly) address that gets assigned can be ignored, from my experience.

-Frank

[Updated on: Thu, 04 May 2006 16:17]

•  
mct62

Well that makes sense, but someone else on this forum asked my why mine was showing two addresses, and his only shows one.

•  
winkelman

mct62 wrote on Fri, 05 May 2006 04:09

someone else on this forum asked my why mine was showing two addresses, and his only shows one.

Yes, that would be me Smile

My Kerio VPN adapter (when connected):
Ethernet adapter Kerio VPN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
        Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Kerio VPN adapter
        Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-40-08
        Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.30.30.100
        Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
        DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.20.20.20
        NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

I did nothing special. Just installed the VPN adapter and gave it a fixed IP (the one I also reserved for me in my KWF user settings).

A VPN adapter is just a virtual NIC, so I don't think it is supposed to or needs to work like a router...
  •  
frankxs

Quote:

I did nothing special. Just installed the VPN adapter and gave it a fixed IP (the one I also reserved for me in my KWF user settings).
I think that's it. I gave my VPN server a static IP but allow it to hand out dynamic IPs in a different subnet, so the clients are set to dynamic configuration. That results in the Kerio client receiving two IPs, one as assigned by the Kerio VPN server and the other seems to be generated by Windows (the default "no defined network" IP, 169.x.x.x I think, or similar.

-Frank

[Updated on: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:12]

•  
mct62

I wish Kerio would comment on this...

winkelman if you take out your ip assignment in Windows (and set back to dynamic) do you end up with two IP addresses on the vpn adapter?
  •  
frankxs

Just FYI...

Here's my VPN client ipconfig while connected to Kerio VPN server from my client machine. Shows the two IP addresses. I see now that, probably, getting two IPs is the result of having "Autoconfiguration" enabled (169.x.x.x). I suppose that could be turned off.

-Frank

----------------
Ethernet adapter Kerio VPN:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Kerio VPN adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 44-45-53-54-28-20
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.26.41.2
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.59.27
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 169.254.59.26
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.22.1.6
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:09:12 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, April 20, 2006 12:12:12 PM
-----------------------------

[Updated on: Sat, 06 May 2006 19:10]

•  
mct62

Hi Frank,

Yes your setup is the same as mine.

I tried setting the VPN client IP addr to a static one, and also configured the server to use this static address for my vpn login.

However, once I did this I could no longer connect to the vpn server. What's worse, I can't set it back the way it was on the server, because I can no longer get into the admin console!

The office is a 3hr drive away...nobody else there at the moment. Damn! Perhaps if I wait for an hour the connections will time out...

Previous Topic: Bandwidth !!! - works incorectly
Next Topic: how to: i want my vpn clients accessing internet through kwf server?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 11:13:40 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00468 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.