Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Lost Mail Subfolder
  •  
pdezutter

Send a private message to this user
Hey,

last week a user started complaining, that she was missing 17 subfolders from the shared public inbox. A quick look in the store folder reveiled that those 17 folders are missing. I could find 17 destroy lines in 'storelog.log'. I'm assuming that once a folder is destroyed, that there is no way back. Worst case scenario ofcourse, Kerio was configured without archive or backup, and the Windows machine which runs Kerio doesn't has also a decent backup system, I can almost shoot the guy who setup that server. If only he would still work here.
So can anyone confirm that those destroyed folder are indeed lost forever?

Regards
Peter De Zutter

[Updated on: Mon, 08 May 2006 11:17]

•  
winkelman

pdezutter wrote on Mon, 08 May 2006 11:14

So can anyone confirm that those destroyed folder are indeed lost forever?

I once restored a lot of deleted folders and messages with undelete software (FinalRecovery), but the longer you wait, the more disk activity has occured, the less likely you'll be able to succesfully undelete stuff.

Who actually deleted the folders? The user itself or some server problem? If the user deleted stuff and emptied the Deleted Items, KMS still retains the folders/messages for a configurable amount of days. (This was intruduced a few KMS versions ago, maybe 4 months back, so is only possible if you have a somewhat recent updated KMS...)

[Updated on: Mon, 08 May 2006 11:43]

•  
pdezutter

The user stated that she didn't delete those folders, 'It just happen', a search of the entire disk didn't find anything at all.

So an undelete tool is currently running, in case that tool does manage to find the deleted folders and manage it to restore then, is there anything that needs to be done on the mail server itself, I assume that stopping and starting the mail server will restore the folders, once those are restored ofcourse.

Regards
Peter
  •  
pdezutter

Hey,

as I suspected undelete didn't find the lost folders, so they really are gone. And I'm not going to let my sleep on it, but still its kind of strange. After a few questions about who had/has access
to those public folders, I learnt that a student also had access to those folders. Too bad she doesn't work here anymore.

I'm also preparing/planning to move from windows to linux, and kerio mail server is available for linux.
I'm assuming that I can just download the demo version on the site and supply it with our windows license key.

But I've got a few questions about the current mail server on windows, can I copy the mail store, config, users, logs, and then just start the mail server. Or is some kind of import/export needed?

When there is a destroy line in the storelog.log is that the only place where a destroy action is log, or should that also to be found in another logfile(s).

A little suggestion on the storelog.log, it would be very nice to see which user performed an action.

Regards
Peter
  •  
winkelman

pdezutter wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 23:23

I'm assuming that I can just download the demo version on the site and supply it with our windows license key.

Nope, AFAIK you need to request a 'Linux license key', different than Windows. But it is freely available if you already have a license.

pdezutter wrote on Tue, 09 May 2006 23:23

When there is a destroy line in the storelog.log is that the only place where a destroy action is log, or should that also to be found in another logfile(s).

The simple fact that it is mentioned in the storelog would tell me that a user did delete the folders themselve... regardless of what the user says. Perhaps the student who already left? That's an easy scapegoat :)
Previous Topic: Can I use the Treo 700w with KMS?
Next Topic: localhost machine name in header
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 15:24:04 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00474 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.