Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KMS suitable?
  •  
proads

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

i recently found Kerio Mail Server through searching for windows mail servers at google.

I just donwloaded the trial, installed and did a bit of testing.

I'm a bit sad that no smaller licences than 20 users are available. I would need one for just 5 users or something for a little SOHO Network. but anyway... it looks like KMS is made as a "outlook" mail server. No Support for other groupware software? no support for mozilla calendars or something?

additionally the filtering and webmail part seems to be not that feature rich as i would expect it from a 700$ mail server. is there any way to configure filtering except from the webmailer? any folder based thing or something?

i'm looking for a mailserver that receives forwarded mails from different server into a very little amount of accounts (primarly one and maybe 2-3 others) and get's them sorted into folders. The user should be able to use different sender-adresses in client (Thunderbird) and webmailer. I do understand linux but unfortunately not good enough (and not much time also) to setup postfix with courier imapd or something similar so kerio looks like a good solution at first few and the admin interface is even impressive and second view but unfortunately still some features seem to be missing.

Additionally i had to read in the forums that kerio doesn't announce any further features nor a development timeline for the next months.

summary: buying kerio for much money (which it definitely is for a small environment) is kind of a risky action.

question: is there a more flexible pricing option in the plans (may this be expected any time?) and do you probably plan to handle your development process a bit more public in the future or should i better go and look out for other projects before investing time, money and energy in kerio?

sorry if it sounds hard but i'm the man to speak out words straight, even english is not my primarly language, as you may have noticed ;)
  •  
proads

hmm looks like no too much interest in presales support, does it? :)
  •  
frankxs

It's kind of interesting that two userIDs for every domain are basically required by RFC - Abuse<_at_>domain.com and Postmaster<_at_>domain.com. Also, there are those that most systems need anyway... Admin<_at_>domain.com and Webmaster<_at_>domain.com. If you have a need for 5 human mailboxes, chances are, even for one domain, you will need around 7-9 email accounts.

Just something to think about with licensing.

-Frank
  •  
gerco

You only require these to be valid email addresses.

There is no need to waste mailbox licenses - you can just have postmaster/admin aliases.

•  
frankxs

Yes, good point about aliases.

-Frank
  •  
dcsf

proads wrote on Thu, 11 May 2006 08:09

Hi,

summary: buying kerio for much money (which it definitely is for a small environment) is kind of a risky action.

how is spending money risky? only if there is a possibility of repercussions from your spouse for spending the money.
Previous Topic: Messages hanging in Outlook 2003 outbox
Next Topic: Empy Mail Messages
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 01:44:31 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00436 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.