Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Using Kerio
  •  
ayates

Send a private message to this user
Here are my first impressions after switching to Kerio and using it for a while. These are for anyone new who wants to get an idea of what it is like. It is not a technical review for mail admins. Of course there are people who know a lot more about it than I do.
Really easy to set up but very configurable. For example I looked at another product where SSL was either on or off. With Kerio you can set it per service.
Active Directory integration works well. I don't use the schema extensions because I am a bit wary of what will happen with AD changes in future, but importing users is easy. Even the password change in webmail seems to work with AD integration, which makes it one of the easiest ways to change your AD password.
Easy to set up on the same server as IIS. Just follow the instructions. You need two IP addresses, or at least that's how I have done it.
Branding. The Kerio logos are a bit intrusive. I have nothing against Kerio advertising themselves but actually its a bit confusing for the user. If I am logging on to my company e-mail, who are these Kerio people? I have never heard of them. I thought it was my company e-mail. You can easily replace the login.php page with a simplified one, but then you lose the error messages and the mini/pda detection. For me the best way is to leave the login page alone and edit the login.css page to give it a different appearance and use a different logo. This is enough. The only thing I would like from Kerio is a blank field to add messages to the user, e.g "Don't forget to change your password" or "Go here http://.. for help". You can also change the logo in the default webmail skin, but I have found it tricky to make it look good. For me the best thing is simply to blank it out with a blank logo. I don't think the user really needs a logo on this page. IE is already covered with logos. You would really need to edit the logo in every skin, but that is too much work. I have simply renamed the skins folder to skinsbak so they don't show as options at all.
Outlook integration takes a bit of getting used to, but for me it works really well. My summary is, if you want full groupware get Exchange or Domino. If you don't want to pay for the client licenses, Kerio is a good alternative. I use the Synchronisation plugin to synchronise contacts and calendar. This is simple well established easy to understand technology, same as synchronising your phone or pda, so most people can use it. It does 90% of what you need. There are some peculiarities of integration with Outlook, like you cannot synchronise your tasks. Also you can only have messages, not contacts in your Public IMAP folders. But if you want a company address book the Kerio LDAP seems to work fine. I did not like the Outlook Connector. I have tried a few connectors before, e.g for Lotus Notes, and they seem to me to be too prone to user error. Setting up and using MAPI profiles is more than I want to know about. Nothing to do with Kerio Outlook Connector, just MAPI in general.
I am in two minds about the Support. I have had some questions resolved really quickly and effectively. On others I have found the response strangely aggressive. Maybe its just me. One reply said "As I have stated multiple times..." Of course it was just once and not clearly. Maybe its a cultural thing. Anyway my feeling is that if there were a technical problem they would probably sort it out, but if you are just having trouble with something like the KOC you might not be so lucky.
On balance I am pleased with the decision to go with Kerio.
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

Thanks for hints on WebMail customization. We're considering how to improve it.

Currently there's this trick to add your message to login screen: change value of <text id="login-enter"> in [install]/webmail/translations/en.def (or whatever is your language). Then restart KMS.

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
  •  
ayates

I think the customisation options are rather good if you stick to editing the css. It just takes a bit of searching in the forums to understand what is going on. Maybe the manual could just explain the existing customisation better.

If I edit the language page, can I use html in the value? Just my ignorance of using the value field.
  •  
Petr Dousa (Kerio)

Unfortunately not, it was designed for plain text only.

Petr Dousa
user experience designer, Kerio
Previous Topic: SMTP conversation logging
Next Topic: login css
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 11:04:12 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00440 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.