Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » E-Mail Housekeeping for Users
  •  
BobH

Send a private message to this user
Running KerioMail - Webclient 6.1.4 on Windows Server 2003

I'm curious to know what kind of methods are being used by other KerioMail users to save e-mail.

We impose quotas on users to make them do housekeeping periodically. However, we do have some users in Sales and Management who want to keep tons of stuff with attachments. Now I can see it from their point of view that keeping the e-mail in KerioMail provides a nice organized way of storing and recalling stuff. On the other hand, with no hard limit there's no incentive to periodically clear out the unneeded stuff. And perpetually upping their quotas becomes like not having a quota at all.

Is there a method or product that anyone would like to share that would allow users to archive their own e-mail to a local drive and still provide access to pictures, attachments, etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
  •  
winkelman

I simply up the quota of users who can convince me that they cannot delete any more messages then they already have. Of course, I'm more lenient towards executives than towards more regular employees. Furthermore, I've set a hard upper limit to which I'm willing to go, even for the executives (1.5Gb).

This way I have 2 users who have 1.5Gb, about 10 that are somewhere between 400-800Mb and the rest (~65 people) are on 250-300Mb. Pretty reasonble.

I expect these numbers to grow slowly for all users, since more and more is being emailed with attachements etc. instead of snail-mail and faxes. I fully want to support this transaction, since expanding/upgrading the mailserver is actually cheaper than all the fax-costs and stamps.

I think IT departments are about giving service to our 'customers' and asking for more mail space is not unreasonable in a lot of cases. In these cases I'm happy to provide it.

[Updated on: Thu, 01 June 2006 19:55]

•  
BobH

Thanks for your perspective. In general I've been doing the same thing but I know the bigger an e-mail account grows, the more unlikely it is that someone will go to the trouble of trying to prune it back because the task becomes overwhelming.

Way back in the DOS days, we used an e-mail package called Noteworks that had an administrative utility that allowed you to indivdually or globally purge e-mails older than a certain date. We could also set a policy to purge items in the "Deleted" folder after an e-mail was in there for so many days. It was very handy when big volumes were 100 MBs and disk space was very expensive.

I'm still trying to think of a model that could be applied globally that would automate what the users should do themselves but still give users some control over individual things as well.

•  
winkelman

I agree mail diskspace is something that needs to be monitored. And indeed the bigger the mailbox, the more difficult it becomes to clean house.

A 'delete mails older than x ' option would certainly be very helpful. Currently (in Webmail) there's no way to select/delete mails older than a certain age (only younger).

Also, auto-deleting items older than, say, a week from the Deleted Items would be a nice thing. Too often users here do not even realize (I keep telling them) that items stay in this folder indefenately, so simply deleting items does not release quota.

Quote:

I'm still trying to think of a model that could be applied globally that would automate what the users should do themselves but still give users some control over individual things as well.

Agreed, but AFAIK currently not possible with KMS.
  •  
BobH

Here's something I just submitted as a suggestion to Kerio as a support ticket...

We've been using Kerio for over a year now and I'm interested in how to address user e-mail account bloat. In addition to an e-mail being sent to a user whose e-mail account is about to exceed their quota, it would be helpful if the Administration Console for users could also indicate graphically which accounts are nearing the limit, say highlight near limit with yellow and at quota with red.

But beyond that I find that users tend to fall into two categories, those who rarely save e-mails and generally tend to delete them immediately and those who save everything. It's the second group that needs attention.

I would like to suggest the following model...

Develop an administrative function that can be set to run at intervals (ex. quarerly or annually) that would archive individual e-mail accounts having e-mail age as a control.

For example
- Archive any e-mail that's older than 1 year (age is user-definable).
- Move it into a mail folder in the individual's account called "archive\2006-06-01".
- The function would sweep through all the user's folders and move the criteria-selected e-mail, preserving the folder structure. So if a message in "Projects\Acme" were moved, it would be in "archive\2006-06-01\Projects\Acme".
- A year later, or whenever the function is run, all mail older than a year would be moved into "archive\2007-06-01

This model would organize a user's e-mail in a way that would make reviewing and deleting much easier. The user would still maintain control over their e-mail.

However, there could also be a "scorched earth" option. There could be an administrative tool to allow globally deleting archives based on the date name of the folder (ex: Delete all archive folders </= 2006-06-01).
  •  
juergen852

Hi

you might try another aproach:
Ask people who else needs access to those files they have in their mailbox. Ask them, where they store their word, excel, image etc. files and why they don't store them in the mail system....

Normally it makes more sense to store those files on a file server so that other people can access these files too. Your users should understand, that the mail system is not a second file server, but a mail system. Information which should be available for others within the department or the company needs to be stored in on a file system.

Keep me postet on what your users think.
JM

•  
BobH

Here I can sympathize with the user. We get a lot of customer communications via e-mail that will consist of information both in the body of the e-mail and in attachments as well. If you simply save files, you lose the link of both e-mail text and file. While most of these e-mails have a fairly short shelf life, many users feel compelled to save everything based on one or two instances where it proved useful.

One scenario I could picture would be to print the text as a PDF, naming it something like "Acme06-06-06.pdf" and then saving the attachment(s) as Acme06-06-06-a.zip, etc. This, of course, would work fine from an admin standpoint but I'd never be able to get users to do this. Getting 75+ people to do this would be like herding cats.

I still think a rules-based archiving function built into Kerio that can be setup by the administrator to work automatically but allow the users to restore themselves is workable alternative. It would require the least direct effort by the admin and still provide a sense of security for the user.
  •  
Soup

I think the ability to restrict sending rather than recieving email when a quota is reached would go a long way to helping with this issue. As it stands my users generally hear about a full mailbox from their clients, which is obviously not good. In this case they come to me ranting and raving that they need more space urgently as they are expecting an important email.

This also happen a lot when users are on holidays or out of the office and their inboxes fill up, in this case the only thing I can do is increase their quota.

If however a full mailbox stopped them sending email, they would be in the office when the problem occurs and their clients would not recieve error emails.

Paul.

3 x Apple Xserve G5 DP2.3
1 x Apple Xserve RAID
40ish users
  •  
BobH

Excellent suggestion.

I'd also like to see the Users screen on the admin console show the quota status more clearly. Currently, you have to compare Storage Quota with Storage Usage a user at a time to spot a potential problem. Mixing MBs with KBs as a measure also makes it tedious.

I'd like to see them highlight users within 10% of quota in yellow and those who have reached it in red. I'd also like to see the % of Quota Used as a column value that can be sorted on so you can keep an eye on whose trending toward full.
  •  
winkelman

Soup wrote on Mon, 12 June 2006 16:37

I think the ability to restrict sending rather than recieving email when a quota is reached would go a long way to helping with this issue. As it stands my users generally hear about a full mailbox from their clients, which is obviously not good. In this case they come to me ranting and raving that they need more space urgently as they are expecting an important email.

This also happen a lot when users are on holidays or out of the office and their inboxes fill up, in this case the only thing I can do is increase their quota.

If however a full mailbox stopped them sending email, they would be in the office when the problem occurs and their clients would not recieve error emails.

Paul.

Excelent suggestion and solution. Users will be motivated enough to clean out if they can't send messages anymore.

For managability a second quota that when reached does stop the ability to receive email would be nice. This way, mail server admins still have the ability to plan their disk capacity. Unlimited receiving could potentially 'overflow' the disk capacity.

So:
Level 1: user can still receive messages, but not send
Level 2: user cannot receive messages any more

The "mailbox 90% full" warning also might be sent more often, perhaps daily, to remind the users of impending problems...
Previous Topic: certificate
Next Topic: Active Sync: sync public contacts folder
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 04:30:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00439 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.