Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Newbie question : is this possible?
  •  
mclearn

Send a private message to this user
I work for a charitable organization where about 15 people use POP3 accounts with Outlook through a local ISP. The problem is backup: about 75% of the information we use on a daily basis is through email, and if any one person’s outlook were to be lost it would be fairly catastrophic. My idea is to install Kerio Mail Server on our Server 2003 box that is currently providing low level database access via terminal services. I have a few questions/concerns

1) I would really like to avoid having a domain controller in the office. Our setup is very simple: a different computer hosts a file share and the 2003 box is simply used for low intensity terminal services. Can Kerio serve a workgroup based network?

2) How easy would it be to migrate everyone’s existing Outlook mailbox over to Kerio? I’m assuming we would switch from POP3 to IMAP to keep all of the data on the server alone.

3) Our ISP provides us with standard SSL POP3 accounts. Can Kerio continuously poll the ISP via POP3 and then distribute internally via IMAP?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but we desperately need a solution to keep costs down and keep things simple! Thanks for any help
  •  
winkelman

mclearn wrote on Fri, 09 June 2006 13:51

1) I would really like to avoid having a domain controller in the office. Our setup is very simple: a different computer hosts a file share and the 2003 box is simply used for low intensity terminal services. Can Kerio serve a workgroup based network?

Sure, no problem. You can create a local user database in Kerio. It works complety seperate from any other network directory this way. So you surely do not need Active Directory, Domain controllers, etc.

2) How easy would it be to migrate everyone’s existing Outlook mailbox over to Kerio? I’m assuming we would switch from POP3 to IMAP to keep all of the data on the server alone.

This will not be very difficult. For just 15 people you could just do it 'manually'.

3) Our ISP provides us with standard SSL POP3 accounts. Can Kerio continuously poll the ISP via POP3 and then distribute internally via IMAP?

Yes. You can create your own schedule and for example poll your ISP every few minutes.
  •  
RPC_Admin

I am doing exactly what you are asking about. If you have questions feel free to mail me.
  •  
mclearn

Thanks guys! I've been playing with the trial version on my home system. It's very intuitive to set up! So after everything is set up, do I just use the IP of the server as the IMAP send and recieve adresses on the client computers?
  •  
Lyle M

mclearn wrote on Fri, 09 June 2006 14:12

So after everything is set up, do I just use the IP of the server as the IMAP send and recieve adresses on the client computers?

Yes, you can have your IMAP clients point to the Kerio Mail Server using IP. This can certainly save you from having to configure a DNS on your network.

Keep in mind that Outlook is not the best IMAP client. There are some very smart Outlook users on this forum that have worked out ways of making Outlook play better with IMAP. If you're not using Outlook for anything other than e-mail, you might consider a lighter weight client - like Outlook Express. Kerio's webmail interface is fairly effective as well.

If your server has any difficulties sending using direct DNS MX records, consider using your ISPs SMTP server as a relay. These settings are found in your GUI console under SMTP Server.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards,
Lyle Millander
Previous Topic: is grouping available?
Next Topic: Root for adminitration but Webmin access closed
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 18:30:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00365 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.