Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Verbose Logs
  •  
scottwilkins

Send a private message to this user
Is there a way to turn on a more verbose logging method, if even for a short period? The logs just seem a little terse to me.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

What information are you looking to obtain?

If you wish to enable more debug logging, within the Admin Console go to the debug log, and right click anywhere in the right window. Go to Messages. There you should see a long list of additional information that can be logged.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

I shoulda known that :)

I guess I expected that tool to be in a dropdown menu or in a tabbed area instead of the right click menu.

Only one problem, it only logs to a syslog server the more detailed info. Can this be sent to the main Kerio logs?

[Updated on: Thu, 29 June 2006 19:25]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Actually, the option is also available by going to the 'Edit' menu at the top (next to File). It is usually just easier to right click, but the right click menu is also available under the 'Edit' menu.

The debug log does not log to the syslog. This is an option, but it is not enabled by the default. The debug logging goes to the debug.log file, which is what you are looking at when you go to Logs -> Debug in the Administration Console.

Please note, the option is 'Messages' not 'Log Settings' Wink

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

Sorry, I don't think we are on the same wave length here. Please let me try to re-explain what I see and don't see.

I've seen and enabled all logging available. Now that I've been back into the settings, I realize I've even been there before. I truely expected to see a "verbose/terse" switch, as that seems to be very common among mail server suites.

This logging just seems very terse and short to me. I guess I'm used to e-mail systems that log the heck out of every little detail plus more info than you ever wanted to know. Two lines for a recieved and delivered message seems very short. Our last e-mail server would consume about 2o to 40 lines of information about the transaction of message movement.

That, and I guess I don't like the mail, security, spam and error logs being seperated. It makes it very difficult to track a message's movement through the system to find out why it's not being delivered as expected. One message's entire path should be logged in as much detail in a single log, including all checks, ballances and errors. IMHO.
  •  
sonofcolin

Quote:

've seen and enabled all logging available. Now that I've been back into the settings, I realize I've even been there before. I truely expected to see a "verbose/terse" switch, as that seems to be very common among mail server suites.

Which logging messages do you have selected in the debug log? Can you list a few? The debug logs are very thorough IMHO.
  •  
Kerio_jthomas

Hi Scott,

OK, I understand. What additional information were you looking for with (for example) recieved and delivered mail?

You might find that if you turn all the debuging options on, when you recieve a mail you will get A LOT of information. I usually have to turn most of the options off! =)

You can get everything from the SMTP session information, to the DNS resolution, to the SPF checking, to the processing through the queue, alias resolution, blow-by-blow spam checking and the exact queries made to the blacklist servers... and a whole bunch of other information =)

I respect your opinion on the consolidated logging. Personally I find it easier to track issues with the information seperated into logical units.

One option is for you to enable the syslog option. You'll need to setup syslog somewhere, but you will get everything into one log.

Cheers,
Joshua Thomas

Joshua Thomas
Technical Support Manager
2350 Mission College Blvd, Suite 400
Santa Clara, CA 95054
Phone: (408) 496-4500
Fax: (408) 496-6902
http://www.kerio.com/support.html

•  
scottwilkins

OK, first paint me as "stupid". I did completely mis-understand the "go to messages" instruction. I though that referred to look at the messages, not a selection in the debug menu that is different from every other log. I guess I'm the only one that finds this confusing?

That's the log info I was looking for. At least very close to what I was looking for, as I'm painfully used to other systems that also use different formats.

I'll submit some suggestion to the support site for future consideration on log file processing. At first glance, I have trouble calling this log very helpfull in readability for tracking. Mainly due to the seperation of information between logs. I might suggest using a standardized format, XML or something more informative and searchable or exportable to a logging system where it can be easily cataloged and formated. I need to use this for a few days before I do that though.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's help. I'm obviously new to this system. And, it's showing in the worst way.
  •  
sonofcolin

Quote:

something more informative and searchable or exportable to a logging system where it can be easily cataloged and formated. I need to use this for a few days before I do that though.

All of which you can do now, but I guess you haven't found that yet either ;)
  •  
scottwilkins

Colin,

Found that, but still the logs are not similar in format. Because of that it is impossible to research a single message between all logs and find it's full path and process. At least Kerio could format all logs identical including message ID in every log.
  •  
sonofcolin

scottwilkins wrote on Wed, 05 July 2006 08:55

it is impossible to research a single message between all logs and find it's full path and process

No it isn't. It is quite straight forward. What exactly are you trying to do? An example might be more helpful.
  •  
hobson@jdk.com

> What additional information were you looking for

The Subject of an outgoing message; is it possible to log this?

Thanks,

Marc
Previous Topic: Recomended Blacklists
Next Topic: Outgoing Messages Being Blocked?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Sep 22 06:38:35 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00543 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.