Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Secure SMTP port 465
  •  
gjb957

Send a private message to this user
We are trying to use secure SMTP on port 465 and not having any luck. The secure IMAP works fine. Has anyone else had this issue?
  •  
sedell

What client? Outlook still uses port 25 for it's secure SMTP.

Scott
  •  
gjb957

Sorry about that. We are using Outlook XP and 2003.
Is there any real value in using secure SMTP if you have secure IMAP enabled?
  •  
sedell

It won't protect mail that you send if you don't use secure SMTP. IMAP is only used for retrieval.

Scott
  •  
gjb957

So how do I get Secure SMTP to work. The help files and manual weren't too much help.
  •  
sonofcolin

gjb957 wrote on Wed, 19 July 2006 14:43

Sorry about that. We are using Outlook XP and 2003.
Is there any real value in using secure SMTP if you have secure IMAP enabled?

If you are sending smtp authentication data (user/password) I would say that it would be a very good idea to use SMTPS, especially for mobile users.
  •  
sonofcolin

gjb957 wrote on Wed, 19 July 2006 14:47

So how do I get Secure SMTP to work. The help files and manual weren't too much help.

Make sure it is enabled in the services tab. Then it's up to your email client setup. Also make sure that port 465 is open on your firewall.
  •  
sedell

Oh. I didn't think to explain that. In Outlook, on the advanced tab, check 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)', but leave the port at 25. That should do the trick.

Scott
  •  
gjb957

Most of our remote users only use webmail (HTTPS. We don't provide any SMTP service outside the building. The concern is protecting passwords.
  •  
gjb957

That is how I have it setup now. That will be secure? We have a security guy that comes in and beats us up every couple months. I need to prove we have a secure setup on the server and clients. Thanks for your help with this.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

MS Outlook does not use SMTPS on port 465. It is using TLS over standard SMTP on port 25 (STARTTLS command). It represents same level of security as SMTPS.
Previous Topic: Outlook subject reads Corrupted item. Was: test
Next Topic: is there a way to force https connections only?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 12:35:36 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00463 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.