Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Stupid User Tricks
  •  
scottwilkins

Send a private message to this user
I got a call from a user today with a trick that I hadn't thought of, and unfortunately it did cause a problem.

First, we use a proprietary database program for customer tracking and various business needs. This program allows integration with Outlook to grab and store e-mail messages to specific customers.

OK, there is a bug in the database program that if a message contains an ActiveX control, the database program will not read the entire folder to allow the user to pick the appropriate message for attaching to a customer. (it is a universal problem for all users of this particular industry specific program.) Well, the fix from the company that makes the program is to create a temporary folder in Outlook and copy the message to that folder so it can be seen by the database program for attaching. No problem so far.

OK, still with me? Here's the Kerio part...

Now, I have a user that decided to copy the messages directly to the "Kerio Outlook Connector Store" root folder. Apparently this works! But, now the user cannot see the messages in Outlook so they can be moved back or deleted or whatever. The database program sees them, but Outlook doesn't.

I see this as a problem, not just for us but all users that may inadvertantly copy messages to this folder. Should this be allowed? Or should Kerio error on the attempt?
  •  
sedell

I can confirm that. Dragging a message to the root 'Kerio Outlook Connector Store' causes the message to dissapear. I turned on 'message folder operations' in the debug log. The message gets dumped in the __keriomapi__STORE\__keriomapi__STORE_ROOT\__keriomapi__IPM_ ROOT\#msgs folder, which you can't access via Outlook it seems. You can recover the message from there though.

Scott
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Actually, this is not a Kerio issue. You can do the same thing with Personal Folders. If you do not wish to allow users to do this, you would need to file a suggestion with Microsoft about this.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

Interesting that I've never seen it before. If Kerio were on the ball and wanted to be better than MS, then maybe it could get fixed in the KOC?... :)

Oh well, thanks for the heads up. I'll see if there are tips on how to get around this "mistake" on the Outlook forums.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Remember that KOC sits on top of Outlook. We do not have the Outlook source code. It would not be possible for us to prevent messages from being moved to this directory. Only Microsoft can change this functionality.

Kevin Trumbull
  •  
scottwilkins

I assumed that Kerio could trap the action and prevent it from occuring. My mistake.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Yeah, I really wish we could do that. I wish we had more control over the way Outlook functions, but unfortunately we don't Sad Our hands are tied in certain situations, which can be frustrating at times.

Kevin Trumbull
Previous Topic: Extarct all emails sent through server?
Next Topic: Store directory mirroring
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 22:42:50 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00472 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.