Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Connecting time take so long (KOC)
  •  
Wilco

Send a private message to this user
I have no idea what is going on but the time I need tot connect to the emailserver takes very long (20 sec.).
I use Windows XP and Outlook 2003 (all updates) and KOC as a client (Pentium D830) and Windows 2003 with KMS 6.1.4. (Pentium IV 1.7 Ghz).
When I uses Webmail it takes much less time to read my mails.

Any suggestions?

Wilco

Kerio Connect 9.2.3 on Windows Server 2012 R2 (dutch)
  •  
BraderComm

FYI: I am running KMS6.2 demo on an old Macintosh 400mhz G3 w/512megs RAM.

I have just tried connecting an old Dell Pentium III 1.13gighz PC running Win XP Pro and Outlook 2003...

Response did not seem to bad to start Outlook to me. Once up the response is quick to change between views (calendar, email, contacts...).

Of course, I have only a few sample emails, appointments, and contacts entered...

Both server and client are located on the same LAN.

Cheers, db
  •  
Wilco

Whta I mean is that when I opens Outlook it takes about 20 seconds before I can see my incoming mails, maps, contacts etc.
Is there a way to speed this up.?
Open some ports of anything else?

Wilco

•  
iigs

20 seconds is nothing. It's over a minute when you have 20+ users with 1Gb+ mailboxes all turning their PC's on at the same time.

The only consolation to the performance of the KOC is that the mail is potentially stored on a RAID on the server and backed up, not on the users local hard drive.
  •  
gerco

If you need decent performance I'm afraid you will have to purchase Microsoft Exchange Server.

Sorry.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

I think the delay on Outlook start could be caused by KOC autoupdate feature or some network timeout. Make sure that you can access HTTP (or HTTPS) service on KMS. Also please make sure there is no additional plugin in the Outlook (like Lookout, Google Desktop Search etc.).
The best way how to analyze this problem is capturing network traffic from Outlook using Ethereal.
  •  
winkelman

This delay is certainly not 'necesarry', I never had this delay in my company. I (and others) start Outlook/KOC en a few seconds later all is there. (My mailstore is ~600Mb, my inbox however is small, I file away all mail in seperate folders.)
  •  
iigs

Small mailboxes load considerably quicker here.

A reasonably clean one with a few Mb of emails in locads in 10 seconds or so.

Mine that is 2Gb takes 45-50 seconds from clicking on Outlook to actually seeing my mail.
  •  
winkelman

I did see very big performance improvements here after I defragmented the servers harddrive. Didn't do it for a year. Oops. Never saw a drive with a billion-gazillion fragments, ah, well, a first time for everything :)
  •  
sedell

I second that. I can't say for mailbox access for certain, but the internal backup sped up quite a bit once I defragmented. I scheduled the task now to keep it from getting bad again.

Scott
  •  
gerco

That's true, if all users have very small mailboxes then performance is better, however this is usually not the case.

You are lucky you have such a small mailstore, some user's mailboxes are bigger than 600MB EACH!.

•  
Wilco

[quote title=Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 15:22]I think the delay on Outlook start could be caused by KOC autoupdate feature or some network timeout. Make sure that you can access HTTP (or HTTPS) service on KMS. [quote]

When I give the firewall the exception of accepting HTTP contact the loading time did go back till about 5 seconds. That's what I can live with.

Tnx.

Wilco

•  
Wilco

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Wed, 02 August 2006 15:22

I think the delay on Outlook start could be caused by KOC autoupdate feature or some network timeout. Make sure that you can access HTTP (or HTTPS) service on KMS.

When I give the firewall the exception of accepting HTTP contact the loading time did go back till about 5 seconds. That's what I can live with.

Tnx.

Wilco

[Updated on: Wed, 02 August 2006 18:27]

•  
Belgrael

Also please make sure there is no additional plugin in the Outlook (like Lookout, Google Desktop Search etc.).

Hi there,

As a Kerio newbie, having just installed the trial version of KMS, I was a little concerned to read this comment.
We have just been severely burnt after installing Workgroup Share for a client only to have every support request answered by the same problem. Their application allows NO other addins in Outlook when theirs is installed. Just about every problem you can experience in that application is blamed on having other addins installed.

Can someone please tell me if you are permitted other addins in Outlook when KOC is installed?

The reason is that many of our clients have 3rd party addins installed, like antivirus, faxing, smsing applications and to remove them for the sake of one application is asking a bit much.

Thanks,
Di
iigs

I think the delay on Outlook start could be caused by KOC autoupdate feature or some network timeout. Make sure that you can access HTTP (or HTTPS) service on KMS. Also please make sure there is no additional plugin in the Outlook (like Lookout, Google Desktop Search etc.).
The best way how to analyze this problem is capturing network traffic from Outlook using Ethereal.

Does this include antivirus plugins like Symantec Corporate?
Previous Topic: Some questions from a german Kerio newbie
Next Topic: Free-busy service/out of office, busy, tentative,etc.
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Mon Nov 20 20:09:25 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00549 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.