Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Archiving users email
  •  
SimonM

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I have a need to archive users email and saw a number of threads discussing archiving of users email but none really had a 'solution'. So I've had a crack at it myself and here's my 2c worth. Would be grateful for any comments/derision/suggestions/warnings!

I've been testing a method that archives off any mail older than 90 days (configurable in the script). It deposits the mail in a folder on disk (outside the store folder) retaining it's location within any folder heirarchy for any user, and forces Kerio to reindex everything.

Currently the script does the following:

1. Stops the Kerio service - moving files out from under Kerio while it's running is probably a bad idea, not to mention the need to reindex once the files being archived have been moved.

2. Trawls the store folder for any .eml file over 90 days old. If it finds one it's moved to an archive folder but retains the original folder heirachy. So a file that was in "C:\Program Files\Kerio\MailServer\store\mail\yourdomain.com\user.name\I NBOX\Marketing\#msgs " would end up in " C:\Backups\ArchivedEmail\yourdomain.com\user.name\INBOX\Mark eting\#msgs "

Only users email folders are trawled, it does not touch #public (the public folders store) or any of the following user folders: calendar, contacts, drafts, notes, tasks, journal or sync issues. (Though it could with simple editing).

3. Deletes all index.fld files.

4. Restarts Kerio.

Initial testing has not thrown up any problems. My server has 34 users with a total store size (before the archiving was first run) of 25gb, handling about 8000 emails a day (sent and received). The only considerations I can see are:

1. The server goes down for a few minutes while the script does the archiving. Not really a problem as it runs at 3am.

2. When users login the next morning accessing their mailbox for the first time takes a few moments longer than it normally would as Kerio has to reindex. Of course, if they received email after the restart then Kerio would have already had to reindex their mailboxes to deliver the mail. I guess you could automate the sending of an email to all<_at_>yourdomain.com to force reindexing before everyone arrives for work.

What do people think? I would be grateful for any comments/derision/suggestions/warnings!

Regards
Simon
  •  
matti763

Good idea, if it works.
How users can access messages, after that 90 days?
  •  
SimonM

The short answer is they can't directly, they have to ask me and I dig the mail out of the archive (or more likely copy a load of email out of the archive back into a folder in their mailbox for them to hunt through).

Currently my script physically moves the .eml files to somewhere outside the store folder (then backed up and deleted from the mailserver). My primary consideration for the archiver was to remove mail from the store to keep some kind of lid on disk usage without having to impose quotas.

It would be possible to have them archive to an 'archive' folder within the users own mailbox (but frankly why bother!), or to a public folder (again why bother!), anywhere really.

Cheers,
Simon

[Updated on: Wed, 02 August 2006 00:00]

•  
the_creative_partnership

Hey I like this idea. What about combining it with an SQL import script to dump all the mail into a searchable database?
  •  
willowsv

Why not get it to dump the mail into the Public Folder Store?

you can get it to build a herarcy

Archive
|----User1
|-------Folder
|----User2

And then by setting permissions you can control who can delete mail (only you) in this case and who can move stuff etc. Eveyone can then view theirs and others archives and search. You can even give users rights to their own public archive to add stuff manually.
  •  
rieflin

Great to see somebody thinking and doing something about this.

My idea recently was to do the same thing but limit it to the spam and deleted folders. That is obviously just a subset of your actions. My 500 users tend to forget to empty their spam and deleted/trash folders. Thus we have approximately 50% of our total storage is for items in those 2 folders.

What language did you write your script in?
What OS is your Kerio Mail Server running on?

Jim

Jim Rieflin
  •  
the_creative_partnership

For others watching this thread, I also posted to another snoozing thread which seems to have come back to life now which may offer further insight...

http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=rview&goto=39826#msg _39826
Previous Topic: End of year archiving
Next Topic: [Windows2003] Active Directory LDAP
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:46:30 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00418 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.