Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » CPU load at 100% when copying files to or from Winroute
  •  
finbom

Send a private message to this user

Hi!

This is an issue that I have seen many versions back.
I am using my KWF as an fileserver.
But everytime I copy files to or from the server, (No matter if it is an client or the server working against desktop share) the CPU works at 100% load, and it is the "winroute.exe" that takes all cpu.

I have tried to disable the winroute viruscanner, the server virusscanner and also setting "protocoll inspector" to none on the LAN rule. but it does not matter.. I get 100% everytime. It is only when copying files this happens.

All machines are running "windows XP pro" sp2, even the "server".

Has anyone an idea how to avoid the load?

Regards, Magnus Finbom

edit: currently im using KWF 6.2.1 Build 1454

[Updated on: Fri, 11 August 2006 23:37]

Magnus Finbom
  •  
winkelman

What brand of network adapter do you use? Some adapaters are known to be problematic, such as realtek-based ones.
  •  
finbom

ahhh, interesting.
My Lan-card is an 3Com 3c905B.. rather old.. maybe I should try to switch to a newer card.

Magnus Finbom
  •  
kasjak2000

hi finbom,

did you solved your problem? If yes, how.

kasjak2000
  •  
finbom

Hi!

The last thing I did was to disable "protocol inspector" for every rule.. I cant find any good and clear information on why it should be enabled, so Off it went. Smile (Anyone with som info??? )

I have also ordered an new NIC for the server, a real server-nic to replace my old 3com 3c905-card. I will report back here when finished.

regards, Magnus Finbom

Magnus Finbom
  •  
winkelman

finbom wrote on Tue, 26 September 2006 22:37

The last thing I did was to disable "protocol inspector" for every rule.. I cant find any good and clear information on why it should be enabled, so Off it went. Smile (Anyone with som info??? )

The protocol instectors filter the traffic. Turning them off turns KWF into a 'simple' router. Turned on they take care of the virus-scanning, HTTP-rules, etc. You can turn them on/off per service or per traffic policy rule.

[Updated on: Wed, 27 September 2006 18:06]

•  
Jeraf

Problem is still here. After upgrading hardware to PD-930 and Intel dual gigabit ethernet adapter, CPU loading is still 90-100% when passing traffic thru KWF.
  •  
finbom

Hi!

Thanks for trying that. I was asuming that changing NIC not would solve this issue... Confused
But you saved me the job to replace nic in my server.

I suppose that we just have to live with this.

Regards, Magnus Finbom

Magnus Finbom
  •  
winkelman

finbom wrote on Thu, 05 October 2006 22:17

I suppose that we just have to live with this.

I don't know how to solve your problem, I'd suggest you take it up with Kerio directly (phone or submit a ticket).

I can only tell you such a high CPU load is not normal. I tested throughput and CPU load earlier today for another thread (this one) and got these results with the CPU only going up to 20% (I think perhaps 10-15% was needed for the KWF process):
                        DOWNLOAD      UPLOAD
Total transferred:      478,94 MB     10,84MB
Maximum transfer rate:  83,66 mbps    1,92 mbps
Average transfer rate:  69,27 mbps    1,57 mbps
Duration:               58,7 seconds

My server is a IBM eServer x336 with a single Xeon 3Ghz (as NIC's I use the 2 onboard Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet NIC's) running Windows Server 2003 R2.

Hope all this helps and good luck!
  •  
maa1

Machine:
Windows 2003 SP2
Kerio Control 7.0.0 (i use only routing and nat, other is off)
Celeron (Tualatin) @1400MHz
Two NIC 3Com 3C905C 100Mbit

CPU load at ~100% when i copy files through this machine (average speed ~10.5 MByte/s)

This 100% CPU load is normal?
  •  
deoner

i got the same issue an my new winroute machine...
set the box up a week ago and now i'm wondering why i can't get the full gigabit speed!
winroute.exe is taking 100% cpu load while copying files from the server.

my box:
via eden 1.2ghz
1gig ram
1,5TB
winroute 6.x

is there a fix or do i have to switch the gateway software?

greetings
  •  
Goran

Of course that cpu load is 100% can you imagine how many package must be checked??
you can solve this if you add one extra network card in and disable kerio layer driver on him!!

Question cannot be stupid, but some of the answers can.
  •  
deoner

isn't it possible to disable the checking of the packets? Surprised
  •  
Goran

It is! Disable kerio driver layer on some interface.

Question cannot be stupid, but some of the answers can.
deoner

if i disable it, can i use NAT on this interface anyway?
because i can't put another network card in my minitx case
Previous Topic: Help needed ! Network configuration for Kerio Control ?
Next Topic: How to connect to Kerio VPN server from Android mobile
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Sep 24 01:38:08 CEST 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00503 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.