Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » Setting Up PPPoE Connection
  •  
an2ny79

Send a private message to this user
Specs:
- KWF 6.2.2
- 1 NIC
- ADsl Modem (PPPoE)

Been using KWF for many years... Actually I even recommended it with the company Im currently handling in Taipei. This is the third time I purchased this good software.

Anyway, this company Im working with is using PPPoE instead of DSL connection Im used to handle. This is the first time I connect KWF using PPPoE.

I setup KWF in a computer with above spec. I also created PPPoE connection based on Kerio's suggestion http://www.raspppoe.com/). See more info below:

1 NIC = 192.168.0.1
this is connected to ADsl Modem (with 5 ports). Other computers are connected to the same ADsl Modem. This is their current setup. Im planning to go WiFi though...

Firewall Rule:
Source = Firewall
Dest = PPPoE Connection (61.229.42.80)
Service = Any
Action = Permit
Log = Yes
NAT = None

If I do IPCONFIG, I saw 2 connections, 192.168.0.1 (LAN) and 61.229.42.80 (PPPoE)

Problem is.. Firewall couldn't surf. I already set up DialUp connection as persistent (I can see connection icon on taskbar). If I disable KWF, I could surf the net. Now, I checked the log... Firewall Rule doesnt have any log but when I checked "default rule" (Deny), It seems like PPPoE connection is connecting to itself. KWF is using PPPoE IP instead of Private IP I Set. Does this means, I need to install another private NIC? Or is there any way to tell KWF what IP number or NIC the firewall should use as it's identity?

Hope someone could help... For now, Im still letting them use their old setup. They are eager see the implementation of KWF internet sharing and filtering.

By the way, Kerio still stop supporting mailing list? Last time I received email from Kerio was April 5, 2005 (notice from Ing. Petr Dobrư)

Regards,
Anthony

•  
winkelman

What good is a router/firewall with only one interface? It can't reliably control access if it doesn't sit in between the LAN and the WAN...
  •  
an2ny79

Yeah I figured that out after I posted my inquiry. Well, i was very tired and kinda dumb last nite Laughing

Actually, I put a wireless USB in the server (as I don't have NIC yet). Wireless connection is successfully connected with my Laptop (using private IP). Then I reinstalled KWF, same rule.. Nothing changed. So I guess I really need to buy NIC tonight to finally check and rectify this problem.
  •  
an2ny79

Still not working...
Installed 2 NIC
NIC1 = 192.168.0.1
NIC2 = 192.168.0.2
PPPoE = x.x.x.x

If you IPConfig, you will see above interfaces.

Problem is, firewall couldn't use internet (in and out). I used Wizard to setup traffic. I chose DialUp connection. Below is the traffic rule used for firewall:

Firewall Rule:
Source = Firewall
Dest = PPPoE (x.x.x.x)
Service = Any
Action = Permit
Log = Yes
NAT = None

Still nothing... Grrrr! Do they really support PPPoE??? I checked the log again.. PPPoE is trying to connect to Provider's DNS Server. Did I miss anything.. Damn, I bought new NIC and still couldn't make it work. I wonder what will I going to tell the company I introduced this product. Help help help...
  •  
Blues

In a browser connection settings, also you've to configure proxies to access the internet
e.g. x.x.x.x:3128, otherwise you've to configure and uses a NAT rules.
  •  
an2ny79

I prefer NAT rule though..

Anyway, I'll try that again and hopefully that would work.

Confused Instead of cost saving and to impress company with KWF, they leased another broadband just to make my stupid proposal (using KWF as router and filter) work! Maybe I could use old connection as failover...

For the benefit of other (just like me), I'll still try and spend my time to work around with this scenario (which I almost forgot).. If you have any ideas, please bring it up. I'll keep you guys posted.

Advance merry xmas!!!
  •  
an2ny79

At last, I got it right...
Installed KWF (with 2 NIC)
NIC#1 = 192.168.0.1
NIC#2 = 192.168.1.1

I directly connected the Modem (PPPoE) to NIC#2... Setup DialUp connection and named it "NET"

Run Wizard, chose "NET" to be my dialup Connection.. etc.. etc..
Set my "NET" to connect persistently...

To my surprise it works... I guess I was just frustrated last time and wasn't able to think right...

Moral lesson of the story:
"You need to cool off if you're frustrated or something..."

[Updated on: Fri, 29 December 2006 08:27]

Previous Topic: 2 PPPoE connections
Next Topic: Run Web Server Behind Firewall
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 12:55:05 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00468 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.