Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SNMP?
  •  
christophebe

Send a private message to this user
Is it possible to have some information aboit Mailserver via SNMP?
Is ti possible to have some graphic via SNMP like MRTG??

Thanks.
  •  
Petr Dobry (Kerio)

No, KMS doesn't have any SNMP capabilities at this time.

Petr Dobry
Product Development Manager | Kerio
  •  
jshaw541

Let's revisit this topic, shall we? First of all, all of this only applies to Windows.

I wrote the kmsreport.pl script for people who want to see some useful statistics about their mail server. I also asked for feedback, and the overwhelming feedback I got was that people wanted this stuff graphed. Sooo, I've been exploring that route for a while.

This weekend, I started work to MRTG graph the KMS statistics via WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) via simple VBScripts. It seems that the Kerio folks install Performance Monitor counters on the system KMS is installed. It appears you can access coutners for everything on the Statistics page in the Admin Console, and then some.

Thusly, KMS's WMI interfaces are making for quite a suitable replacement to lack of SNMP functionality, at least for people running KMS on Windows. Once I get things stabilized and figured out, I'll post the scripts and the mrtg.cfg. Hopefully, that will be later this week.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
christophebe

Can you send me your files?

thanks
  •  
RHarmsen.nl

jshaw541 wrote on Mon, 12 April 2004 20:11

Let's revisit this topic, shall we? First of all, all of this only applies to Windows.

I wrote the kmsreport.pl script for people who want to see some useful statistics about their mail server. I also asked for feedback, and the overwhelming feedback I got was that people wanted this stuff graphed. Sooo, I've been exploring that route for a while.

This weekend, I started work to MRTG graph the KMS statistics via WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) via simple VBScripts. It seems that the Kerio folks install Performance Monitor counters on the system KMS is installed. It appears you can access coutners for everything on the Statistics page in the Admin Console, and then some.

Thusly, KMS's WMI interfaces are making for quite a suitable replacement to lack of SNMP functionality, at least for people running KMS on Windows. Once I get things stabilized and figured out, I'll post the scripts and the mrtg.cfg. Hopefully, that will be later this week.

That will be very great :D
  •  
jshaw541

The good news:

I've started documenting getting useful statistics from KMS via it's Performance Monitor counters and WMI on the web:

http://absent.org/labs/KerioMailServer_2fStatistics

Right now, I'm working to add more information, so continue to check back. I still have quite a bit to document. When it works (see below), it works great, and is extremely useful, especially for identifying anomalies and attacks.

The bad news:

There is a serious bug which currently makes this project unfeasible. After about 3-4 hours of grabbing KMS statistics via WMI, the Kerio Mail Server service stops responding.

I believe this is a Kerio bug and not a Microsoft bug. It's probably a memory leak of some sort.

Why? From what I understand, the WMI/Performance Monitor interface is usually just a hook into an external program, such as KMS. WMI is just executing a query to an itnerface that KMS provides.

I'll try and play with it more and see if I can gather enough useful information to send a bug report. In the meantime, if any friendly Kerio developers want to look into this issue, feel free :)

I was planning to write a set of hand-holding instructions on how to get MRTG to work with KMS, but there's no point to this until this bug is resolved.

As always, feedback, constructive criticism and comments appreciated.

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
  •  
mkanat

If you do get enough information, be sure to send us a bug report. Smile Pavel or I will look at it, probably, if you have 1st level forward it up. Smile

-Max

Maxwell Kanat-Alexander
2nd Level Support Engineer, USA
Kerio Technologies
  •  
pierre.lannoy

Sorry to come back with old things . . .
Where are we with mrtg monitoring ? Has someone found a solution to monitor KMS or solution to make stats (awstats or other) or both . . .

many thanks for answers ...

P.Lannoy
  •  
jshaw541

pierre.lannoy wrote on Mon, 13 June 2005 08:11

Sorry to come back with old things . . .
Where are we with mrtg monitoring ? Has someone found a solution to monitor KMS or solution to make stats (awstats or other) or both . . .

many thanks for answers ...

P.Lannoy

I am working with Kerio on fixing a WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) bug. Once this is fixed, users running KMS on the Windows platform will be able to graph SNMP-like counters.

awstats... well I don't like it. It doesn't really produce useful information beyond the basics. kmsreport, the app I wrote, well I love it ;). It just needs to represent the data graphically. I did code up a rough version of kmsreport that used Perl's GD:Graph library to generate MRTG-like graphs, but that project went on hiatus.

I actually have MRTG graphing an old KMS install right now. It's just that the counters are all jumbled up. So, the counter for Incoming Spam is pointed to the value for Total DNS Lookups. The scripts that pull data from Kerio for MRTG are some scripts I wrote in JScript (Think VBScript, except with Javascript). I've also written Perl scripts in the past that pull WMI data.

I actually need to get back to Jeff<_at_>Kerio as they are waiting for me to try something. Thanks for the reminder!

Windows Server 2003 SP 1
~1300 users
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Previous Topic: Webmail: Empty Folder vs Expunge
Next Topic: So - What do we all think of 6.1???
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 18 04:06:56 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00435 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.