Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Concurrent Users
  •  
jrkallas

Send a private message to this user
We plan to have 100 users on our mail server, and approximately 80 of those users will be utilizing the Kerio Outlook Connector, therefore they will have several open connections back to the server. Our server configuration is as follows:

Xserve G5 2GHz CPU (single CPU)
2 GB RAM
80GB Storage

My question is, will the server handle the load of that many users without any issues? Disk space is not of concern because all users will have a fairly strict mail quota set, we just want to make sure that 80 people hitting the server with multiple connections through the KOC will not take the server down.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Justin
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

The Kerio MailServer is more disk intensive than it is CPU and Memory intensive. Please make sure that your hard disk subsystem is the best (fastest) you can afford.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
shaggie16

Would it not also be true to say, that especially when using the KOC it is network bandwidth intensive too. IMAP is less so, because the mail client caches locally. The G5 you mention should have Gigabit ethernet, so make sure it is connceted to a gigabit switch.
  •  
sedell

Unfortunately, Gigabit ethernet will only work if the building is wired for it. Most buildings have Cat5 or lower unless they were intending to run Gigabit when the building was wired.

As for concurrent users, we have about 85 users using KOC exclusively. There is some latency because the mail is not stored or cached locally. The drive activity is more of an issue than anything else, including network latency. Especially if the user has a large amount of mail in any one particular folder. I would agree that the fastest drives you could get would make a big difference.

Scott
  •  
shaggie16

I agree re: disk speed definitely, all I am saying is IF you have a switch with gigabit ports, then make sure the X-serve is connected to one of those. Even if the rest of the bulding is only 100Mbps, there will still be an advantage having the server on a gigabit connection.
  •  
winkelman

Most definitely disk speed as most important component. Moving from 72000rpm IDE drives to 15000rmp SCSI drives improved performance very significantly and also changed KMS from a fairly stable system to a 100% stable system.

So I would say: 15k RPM drives are a ‘necessity’.
Previous Topic: Wishlist for 6.08 / 6.1 - Please complete / add items
Next Topic: Reason for quota reporting wrong
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sat Nov 25 02:50:27 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00438 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.