Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail Domain different from AD Domain
  •  
ardinescc

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Kerio Mail Server to be our email system, and I'm totally new to this system.

I downloaded Kerio 6.2.1 and installed on a member server with mail/primary domain called mymail.com. Our Active Directory domain is mydomain.com. Does this setup workable?

We have DSL connection to the Internet with dynamic IP address. We're using Linksys wireless router. The router is configured for port forwarding (I opened ports 110 and 25). Am I missing something on the router config?

The MX record for mymail.com points to kerio.linksysnet.com which is the domain registered for the Dynamic DNS.

Problem: I can't send nor receive emails to/from external.

Please help.

Thanks,

Chris

•  
sedell

In the domain settings, under the Directory Service tab is a setting to specify your AD domain when it's different from your mail domain.

As for being on DSL with dynamic IP... this probably won't work for sending mail, and if it does, it'll be problematic. Many blacklists include dynamic IP ranges in their lists, since mail servers shouldn't be behind a dynamic IP. Also, infected PCs are used to spread viruses, and are used by spammers to send spam, and more often than not, these are on dynamic IP addresses.

If it's a dynamic address, you have no control over your PTR records. Many mail servers require a valid PTR record before they'll accept mail from your server.

It's also possible your ISP blocks this type of traffic. DSL with dynamic addressing isn't meant to be used for hosting servers. I know of several ISPs that are available in my area that block ports to prevent servers from being run, and to prevent spam from being sent from their network. You'd have to check with your ISP on this one.

Best bet would be to use your ISPs mail server as a relay for outgoing mail. If you have business class DSL, they may have a server available for you to use for this purpose.

Scott
  •  
ardinescc

Thanks Scott. But I thought the issues regarding dynamic IP address are taken care of by the Dynamic DNS provided by TZO.com (which is also supported by Linksys).

After a lot of testings, I can receive emails virtually from anybody/anywhere, but I can't send to anybody/anywhere aside from Yahoo recipients. Other than Yahoo, messages I sent bounced back. What's special on Yahoo to accept emails from my test Kerio server? Why it doesn't work in Hotmail/MSN?

Any idea?

Thanks,

Chris
  •  
winkelman

Your dynamic DNS makes sure your DNS A-record stays correct (points towards you). Problem is, your PTR-record (reverse DNS lookup) won't work correctly with dynamic DNS and a lot of receiving mailservers require a correctly setup PTR-record for mail servers sending mail to them.

So, a mail server really requires a fixed IP address with properly setup DNs (A, MX -and PTR records).

What you could do is not deliver mail yourself directly to the recipient, but relay your outgoing mail through your ISP's SMTP server (if they allow this)...
  •  
ardinescc

Thanks for your help. I guess I just have to wait for our Static IP Address from our new ISP.

Thanks again.
Previous Topic: Webmail security options
Next Topic: More than 1 domain
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 08:39:45 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00376 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.