Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Kerio MailServer 6.2.2 released
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

Send a private message to this user
Version 6.2.2 - September 5, 2006

Kerio MailServer:
- Spamserver process could cause a stability issue under certain circumstances.
- Some WebMail files were not updated on upgrade from previous version.
- Email replies from Outlook with Kerio Outlook Connector could be rejected due to improper format of Message-ID header.

Download link: http://www.kerio.com/kms_download.html
Changelog: http://www.kerio.com/kms_history.html

[Updated on: Tue, 31 October 2006 12:30]

•  
scottwilkins

We are seeing a few problems with this upgrade on the client side. We are upgrading from 6.2.0. Some users report that after the install the Kerio Connector fails, but all appears good after the failure.

Doesn't seem bad, but really looks bad to the users.
  •  
iigs

How are people finding this release? I am still on 6.2.0 because of the problems reported with 6.2.1. Would like to see the new spam features.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

6.2.1 and 6.2.2 contain some critical bug fixes and it's highly recommended that you upgrade to 6.2.2.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
winkelman

iigs wrote on Wed, 13 September 2006 18:10

How are people finding this release? I am still on 6.2.0 because of the problems reported with 6.2.1. Would like to see the new spam features.

I haven't had any problems with 6.2.1 or 6.2.2.
  •  
iigs

Kerio_ktrumbull wrote on Wed, 13 September 2006 18:15

6.2.1 and 6.2.2 contain some critical bug fixes and it's highly recommended that you upgrade to 6.2.2.

We are not experiencing any of the problems listed in the changelog and the server is running fine so I see no reason to rush into an upgrade, unless there are more critical bug fixes you haven't listed. There were a few posts about problems with 6.2.1 on here, plus there is the post above about 6.2.2, and people having to downgrade.
  •  
rieflin

We upgraded to 6.22 shortly after its release.

The Good:
1. We like the new features. :-)
2. The upgrade installation was easy. :-)

The Bad:
1. System performance in webmail has been quite bad since upgrade. Our network administrator has submitted a trouble-ticket to Kerio concerning the serious degradation in performance.

The issue seems to be that it is thrashing the hard drives. Defrags have been run.

Our Win2003 server has
RAM: 4 GB of Ram. Only 1/2 GB is being used.
Hard Drives: Raid 5
C:\ is 50GB with 40GB Free
D:\ is 160GB with 70GB Free
D:\ is where mail is stored

hopefully some solution to this problem will be found.

Jim Rieflin
  •  
winkelman

rieflin wrote on Mon, 02 October 2006 16:21

We upgraded to 6.22 shortly after its release.

You've upgraded from which version to 6.2.2?

What kind of disks do you use in your RAID-5 setup? (S)ATA? SCSI? What kind of SCSI? What RPM speed?
  •  
scottwilkins

I've been wondering lately about 6.2.2 performance in general. Since our update our mail server has seemed to get at least a little bit slower, though some users complain it's very noticable both in KOC and in Webmail. Originally I thought it might be increasing mail load, but my stats on the system haven't changed much over the past 12 months.

Just FYI, we run on a dual P4 2.8GHz with 2 gig ram and Raid 5 SATA 7200RPM drives. I've noticed that the 2 gig ram was overkill as the system never seems to consume more than 1 gig. We have about 60 users.
  •  
winkelman

KMS speed is indeed mostly dependant upon the disk-subsystem and much less to CPU or RAM. So IMHO people should consider:
  • RAID-1 is faster (write performance) then RAID-5 and probably also cheaper, with a higher level of protection (the chance of 1 out of 2 disks failing is lower then the chance of 1 out of 3). Of course, efficiency is somewhat lower (50% vs. 66% for a 3-disk-based RAID-5 setup).
  • If you can afford and have place for 4 disks, even better would be RAID-10 (a mirror-array of striped disks); as fast a striping and even safer than mirroring (1 disk may always fail and 2 disks may fail as long as they do not belong to the same stripe-set).
  • SCSI disks in general are faster then (S)ATA drives, certainly more optimised for server circumstances (more parallel requests).
  • And of course, SCSI disks are available in 15kRPM, while the fastest (S)ATA drives are stuck at 10kRPM.

I’ve noticed an incredible performance boost in KMS here when moving from ATA to 15kRPM SCSI (RAID-1).

[Updated on: Mon, 02 October 2006 18:45]

•  
scottwilkins

winkelman wrote on Mon, 02 October 2006 18:43

[*]SCSI disks in general are faster then (S)ATA drives, certainly more optimised for server circumstances (more parallel requests).
[*]And of course, SCSI disks are available in 15kRPM, while the fastest (S)ATA drives are stuck at 10kRPM.
[/list]
I’ve noticed an incredible performance boost in KMS here when moving from ATA to 15kRPM SCSI (RAID-1).

That used to be the case, but not really any more. Properly configured SATA 3.0 drives with NCQ can easily outdo even faster SCSI drives.

http://www.pugetsystems.com/articles.php?id=19
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/10/31/sata_spells_trouble_f or_scsi_raid/

One note of warning too, RAID 5 or 0 is not all it's cracked up to be. There is a lot of overhead in processing data for a striped array. If you have a cheap RAID card or on-motherboard RAID controller that does 0 or 5, it may not hold up to a single drive in many situations.

Though, any move from the old ATA drives will definately speed things up.

EDIT: Raid 0 is striping, RAID 1 is mirroring, I get this backwards all the time too :P

[Updated on: Mon, 02 October 2006 19:26]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

I would recommend RAID10 for KMS with the fastest possible drives. RAID10 gives vast performance improvements over RAID5, and is much more redundant than both RAID1 and RAID5.

I don't want this to turn into a RAID flame war. It is true that KMS is more disk intensive than it is CPU and Memory intensive. If we would like to have an open discussion about RAID, somebody please create a new thread.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

•  
rieflin

Trust my performance observation hasn't started a flame war. My apologies if it has.

The following questions were asked and here are my answers.

From What Version: We upgraded from 6.21 to 6.22 about 2 weeks ago. We were not noticing any performance problems up to that point.

What drives: We are using SATA drives spinning at 7500. 15K SCSI drives would be faster, for sure. We are using Raid 5.

CPU: Dual 3.6 Xeons. Nobody asked but I felt like saying it.

Praise for Kerio: May I also say on the positive side that Kerio is quite impressive in its low memory usage. Our whole mail server and its 500 users uses less Memory than the Panda Antivirus on my desktop. Good programming there. I was impressed when I noticed that!

Summary: While the 15K SCSI would be faster, the thing we noticed is that the performance problem started immediately after the upgrade. We have been running for 1 or 2 years now and this is the first big hurdle we have hit.

New Thread: I will probably start a new thread for this issue as it seems like it has grown out of the thread it was in. My apologies as a new user group member if I have done bad.

Jim Rieflin
rieflin

A very good morning for me and hopefully to you also. And also with you. :)

As you are aware my server has been struggling since the upgrade to 6.22. Last night about 3:30 am my time I discovered that the problem was that we had a user account out of control.

I do not know why "it" happened but it did. Now I will tell you what happened. If you know the "why" feel free to tell me.

Our disks were thrashing, opening a single message would take 30-60 seconds on average. I discovered that one computer on our network had about 10 http connections listed in the Kerio admin console. Nobody works that late here except me or my network admin.

Then I did a disk usage on my mail store and saw that this same person had a 21 GB deleted items folder. I have the next largest total mail store of about 1.2 GB. This user is not a power user.

In the admin console I shut down the HTTP service. Then I remotely shutdown the offending computer. Turned HTTP service back on. Things were running much smoother. I then moved her deleted items folder to a safe place for much later analysis.

The system is running much better now. Much, much better.

I do apologize to the Kerio team that my original post presumed the problem was caused by the 6.22 upgrade. The appearance of the performance hit though coinciding with the upgrade appears to have only been coincidental.

So, if the problem contained in my posts have made anyone hesitant to move forward with the upgrade or the purchase of Kerio please ignore them. Problem solved - atleast this one.

By the way, it is nice that the Kerio people monitor these forums. I was not expecting that.

Jim Rieflin
Previous Topic: Email to own domain causing message queue backup
Next Topic: Spamassissin rules: can they be updated?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 13:35:13 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00606 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.