Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » SpamAssassin
  •  
cyberknight

Send a private message to this user
Please share with me your experience on SpamAssassin in KMS (I am running KMS 6.2.2). I estimate that the spam detection success rate is currently max. 40%.

Nevertheless, in general people on the Internet seem to be very satisfied by the accuracy and performance of SpamAssassin.

Most of the spam that I get is even far below the “tag” threshold that I have set in KMS (currently 3.7).

What can we do to tweak SpamAssassin in KMS in order to make it work better?

CK
  •  
sonofcolin

In the admin console click on 'spam filter' and then on 'spamassassin' In filter status can you say how many messages have been considered as spam and not spam?
  •  
sedell

I can't complain about the built in SpamAssasin really. I don't have exact numbers since I restarted KMS this morning, but we usually run something like:

0% Messages marked by users as not spam (there are always a few, but not enough to hit the 1% mark)
4-5% Spam detected (tagged)
9-10% Spam detected (rejected)
1-2% Messages marked by users as spam (aka the spam filter missed it)

These number are on an average of 1500 e-mails per day. We have a relatively low missed percentage, and very few complaints from users, so I would say it's fairly effective.

Scott
  •  
sonofcolin

Here's ours after 1 day.

0% Messages marked by users as not spam
32 % Spam detected (tagged)
39 % Spam detected (rejected)
0% Messages marked by users as spam

Our threshold is 4-7.9 (tagged) 8+ rejected.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 September 2006 15:52]

•  
cyberknight

The "SpamAssassin" tab states:
8843 messages considered as spam
39461 messages considered as not spam

Spam filter statistics for today are
Messages checked : 965 (93%)
Spams detected (tagged) : 26 (3%)
Spams detected (rejected) : 35 (4%)
Messages marked by users as spam : 5 (1%) -> this is not a reliable figure, I still have most users on IMAP4 and they typically don't move their message sinto the "Junk Mail" folder
Messages marked by users as not spam : 0

Tag score = 3.7, Block score = 9.5

CK.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 September 2006 18:06]

•  
winkelman

40% normal messages
2% spam is not detected
39% spam is rejected
19% spam is tagged
0% messages marked by users as not spam

So 2% is not detected. We have about 1000 messages per day and about 80 users. This means you will only see 1 or 2 spam messages in your inbox per week. This is entirely because of Spamassasin and Bayes (I don't use blacklists, SPF, etc.), so I would say Spamassasin works rather well. (I can't use blacklist, SPF, etc. because all our incoming mail comes from a single relay server.)

I am tracking my spam statistics by copying the spam statistics to an Excel sheet every (week)day. This gives me insights into how the detection fares and if I should look at it. For example, I noticed most spam comes in in the weekend. Perhaps more hacked computers are turned on in the weekend and therefore sending out more spam? If anyone is interested in the Excel sheet, let me know...
Previous Topic: Mail for internal groups only
Next Topic: SQL 2005 Database Mail
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:37:11 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00855 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.