Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Set Caller ID
  •  
rbcomp

Send a private message to this user
Hi there,

I suppose this may be already been answered but I didn´t find it...

How do I set up my Caller ID record? If I lookt at the MS site, they talk about a XML file to be stored on an TXT record? How do I do that?

Has anybody do this? and... there are som easy "for fools" "Idiot guide to set up your caller ID Record" similar as the one for SPF?

Thank you for any help, people!.

Rafael Bullrich
Technical Support
RB Computacion SRL
Buenos Aires, Argentina
rbullrich_at_rbc.com.ar

Rafael Bullrich
Technical Support
RB Computacion SRL
Buenos Aires, Argentina
rbullrich_at_rbc.com.ar
  •  
sedell

Caller ID appears to have been abandoned by Microsoft. They merged Caller ID and SPF into Sender ID, which as near as I can tell is just another name for SPF. They even have a Sender ID wizard on their site ( http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/ senderid/wizard/default.aspx ) which generates an SPF record. They used to have a document explaining how to set up a Caller ID record, but I can't seem to find it any more.

I can tell you from experience using Caller ID, it never catches anything. It only works if you set it to 'Apply this policy also to the testing Caller ID records', because everyone has their record set to testing. In my experience, it causes problems if you use this setting. People seemed to stop updating their Caller ID records, so the records out there are outdated.

About the only thing I've found Caller ID useful for is checking your incoming mail to insure no one is spoofing your domain name in the from address. It only works though, if the From header in the message contains an e-mail address with your domain name, but the SMTP envelope used to deliver the message uses another domain (like when people override the from address on their Blackberry) - otherwise SPF catches it first. It's a lot of DNS lookups for such a limited use.

Scott
  •  
rbcomp

Thank you very Much... A very good answer!!

It seems that I will stick to SPF and that´s it.

Thank you again,

Rafael Bullrich
Technical Support
RB Computacion SRL
Buenos Aires, Argentina
rbullrich_at_rbc.com.ar
  •  
becatlibra

Is this true? I was just wondering, since I have KMS set to block messages if they have an INVALID caller ID, how do I set up MY caller id?

So it doesn't do anything? Has anyone informed KERIO? If so, I assume Caller ID has been dropped from KMS 3.0 (set to come out later this month.)

Anyone know more about this?

[Updated on: Wed, 25 October 2006 00:28]

•  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Umm, this thread is about the user wanting to create a CallerID record for their domain, not about KMS checking incoming connections for CallerID records. We are not dropping support for CallerID lookups. AFAIK there are no issues with KMS's CallerID lookup functions. I think sedell was pointing out that most domains with CallerID records have not set them up to give the 'hardfail' result but rather the 'softfail'. Messages are only rejected on hardfails.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
becatlibra

Okay - So how do I set up Caller ID for my domain?
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

becatlibra wrote on Tue, 24 October 2006 17:07

Okay - So how do I set up Caller ID for my domain?

Contact your DNS administrator (the company/person that manages the DNS records for your domain).

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
Previous Topic: Issue using open directory and kerio mailserver
Next Topic: What's in Your WhiteList?
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Thu Nov 23 10:32:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00423 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.