Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Control » CPU Ussage when heavy Lan trafic (copy files)
  •  
deftoner

Send a private message to this user
I´, trying WR 6.2.0 at work. te problem is that the server that give internet access to the LAN (150 Pc´s) is an storage server, where the clients save some files.

When somebody copy a file from server, winroute usage 100% of procesor...

where is any way that winroute ignore this packets... so it stop using procesor?

becouse when somebody copia a file for example of 100 Mb.. the internet performance is unaceptable for 5 o 10 minuters...

the "server" is an Athlon 2200+ with 1.5 Gb of ram, 2 hd of 80 Gb.

thanx for the help
  •  
winkelman

Besides the obvious wisecrack remarks about having a storage server connected directly to the Internet... Wink

Look at your traffic policies. The policy that allows LAN connections to the server, does it have the protocol inspector enabled? If so, try turning it off. This will stop the trwaffic from begin analysed, virus-checked, etc.

Also, it is known that some network cards do not play nice with KWF, such as Realtek based NIC's... What control chip is on your servers network card?
  •  
deftoner

Thanx for de help.

I have a 3com NIC (905TB), i try it using an Intel NIC and the onboard of the pc (realtek). In all test winroute.exe use 90% of procesor, and it go low when i stop the trafic

is disabled protocol inspector..

pd: thanx again and sorry for my english
  •  
deftoner

i forget.

the storage server gives internet to and second bildin (connected with tls) and it send all trafics to and linux firewall.. is not "directly connected" to internet Wink
  •  
winkelman

Do you have a Traffic Policy rule for LAN traffic and LAN <--> firewall traffic?

Something like:
source: LAN, Firewall
destination: LAN, Firewall
service: any
action: allow
protocol inspector: none
  •  
Novgorod

I have a similar problem:
I have a tiny celeron 700 as a home router/server and I am testing kerio winroute firewall right now. so far it is a great program, but I have the same problem with LAN traffic as described above:
the router is also a storage server, so there is heavy traffic on LAN from and to the router PC (FTP or that windows file sharing thing).. the throughput doesn't exceed 2,3MByte/s, that's quite sad für a 100MBit network.. with winroute engine stopped the throughput reaches up to 9-10MB/s..
also the CPU usage is at maximum when I copy a large file from the router through LAN...

I have the traffic policy set that you mentioned, but there is no "protocol inspector" in the traffic policy window, the protocol inspector can be set in definitions -> services..
even if I disable protocol inspector for all services, I don't get more throughput through LAN (although the web browsing is faster without http protocol inspector Wink)..

so I think the celeron is just too slow for more traffic, but then there must be another way to get files to or from the router-PC through LAN with full speed.. can the LAN traffic to the router-PC just be excluded from the firewall?
  •  
winkelman

Novgorod wrote on Thu, 14 September 2006 01:39

I have the traffic policy set that you mentioned, but there is no "protocol inspector" in the traffic policy window

There is. You may just have to turn on the column (right click the column header, choose Modify columns and turn on the Protocol Instpector column.
  •  
Novgorod

oh, ok Smile
but it didn't help Sad - I turned the traffic inspector from default to none (for the local traffic row), but I have still not more than 2,3MByte/s in average for LAN traffic to or from the router-PC...

[Updated on: Thu, 14 September 2006 19:56]

•  
kasjak2000

hi deftoner and Novgorod,

did you solved your problem? If yes, how. (WinRoute usche dostala!!!)

kasjak2000
  •  
Novgorod

hi,
I don't think there is a solution at all except for using a faster computer Wink
anyway, I don't copy large files from the router-PC too often, so I can either live with it or turn the winroute engine off during the transfer.. it's a deficite, of course..

(nu shto podelayesh? Wink)
  •  
kasjak2000

hi Novgorod,

i am not certainly first, but WinRoute 4.2.5 pro is simply better as WinRoute 6.

I have speed of 10 MB/s in LAN with WinRoute 4.2.5 pro.

But WinRoute 4.2.5 pro have small functionality Sad

Then I will probably wait, until the error is eliminated Sad

kasjak2000
  •  
Jeraf

Upgrading to faster hardware will not help to solve problem! (I have PD-930 and Intel Dual gigabit card), and still have poor performance and high CPU load. The problem is in poor optimized software.
  •  
winkelman

I have KWF on a 50Mbit (up&down) fiber, I do use virus-scanning, OrangeWeb URL filtering, protocol inspectors, etc. and KWF is not the only thing running on that server and the CPU load (3Ghz Xeon) very rarely goes over 20%.

So in your case it might still be KWF that's causing high CPU load, I wouldn't know, but that's definately not always the case.
  •  
slash

winkelman wrote on Wed, 04 October 2006 15:16

I do use virus-scanning, OrangeWeb URL filtering, protocol inspectors, etc. and KWF is not the only thing running on that server and the CPU load (3Ghz Xeon) very rarely goes over 20%.
So in your case it might still be KWF that's causing high CPU load, I wouldn't know, but that's definately not always the case.

Yes, you are right, it is not the winroute process causing a high CPU, but the windows system process (Maybe my internal Realtek Card is causing this high CPU on a Windows 2000 Server). But a big drawback is the poor network throughput because it doesn't achieve more then 3 Mbit/s. And this is a fact. And this seems to be also a bug, which consists such a long time and which will probably never be fixed by Kerio.

greetings Slash
Novgorod

winkelman wrote on Wed, 04 October 2006 15:16

I have KWF on a 50Mbit (up&down) fiber, I do use virus-scanning, OrangeWeb URL filtering, protocol inspectors, etc. and KWF is not the only thing running on that server and the CPU load (3Ghz Xeon) very rarely goes over 20%.

how is the network throughput to or from the server? do you reach the physical maximum of the network capacity? (in your case 50MBit = 6MByte/s)
it's not much anyway.. even with poor optimization and protocol inspectors it should be no problem on a 3GHz xeon (!).. imagine the network speed on a GBit server Wink

I don't doubt that I can reach the "real" 100MBit speed on a highend server with KFW but that's not my intention.. at least as a "simple router" (without protocol inspectors etc.) KFW must not slow down the network performance on a celeron 700 so heavily!
Previous Topic: VPN
Next Topic: install kerio
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 17 20:40:44 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00579 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.