Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » KOC+outlook2003 is so slow
  •  
heze54

Send a private message to this user
Hi,

I´m trying to configure 4 computers with windows 2000 sp4, outlook2003 as a mail client and koc.They are connected to the mail server(kerio 6.1.3 under linux)by a adsl 4mbpsUP/512kbpsDn.

When they try to open and read mail or collaboration is so so slow navigation...why?

Best regards

heze54
  •  
mcw82

I have a similar problem and would like answers. Inside my LAN, KOC and Webmail is adequate. Outside, using either VPN for Outlook or Webmail, the speed is painfully slow. Webmail takes several seconds to update everytime I move around. It's almost like the browser isn't caching any of the icons.
  •  
Kerio_ktrumbull

Kerio Outlook Connector was not designed to be used over an internet connection due to a lack of an offline cache. KOC Offline Mode will resolve this issue.

Webmail on the other hand should performa equally well regardless of where you are, assuming you have a decent internet connection.

Kevin Trumbull
Kerio Technical Support Team Leader
http://support.kerio.com
  •  
scottwilkins

Have your users login to web mail using the "Simplified for slow connections" method. The weight of the code for the full version is pretty heavy. It's nice if you have a fast broadband connection, but can be slow if your route is long or slow back to the server.

Also, I've seen where large folders or folders with some issues (sorry I can't elaborate better on the "issues") can cause web mail to move slowly. You might try moving the account and re-creating the original to clean up issues. Or just keeping the inbox a little more cleaner. That would help with any mail server I've used. If your users are like mine, they won't like be told to clean up their inbox though.
  •  
winkelman

When configured to display a lot of messages per page (Webmail, Settings, General, number of displayed messages), Webmail can become rather slow indeed. I find it works best if it's just put at a small figure like 20. When you need to find a messages, it is easiest anyway to just use the excellent and very fast search box at the top of the message list instead of scrolling through lists of messages.

Furthermore, on fairly old computers Webmail may be somewhat slow due to the heavy scripting.

But besides the above, Webmail is very fast over here. Yes, sure, a 'decent' connection helps :)
  •  
heze54

Hi,

KOC offline?What is this? In wich version will be included?

Best regards

heze54
  •  
winkelman

KOC Offline is a special version of KOC (or it will completely replace the current KOC) that will basically synchronise the users Kerio account with a local Outlook file. This way, users still have access to their stored messages, calendar, contacts, etc. when their Outlook is offline (not connected to the KMS), for example a laptop not connected to the LAN/Internet.

This KOC Offline is currently under development and as stated by Kerio a top priority. An expected release date is unknown. I suspect it will still take a significant amount of time (many months) before this is included in a shipping KMS version.
  •  
scottwilkins

heze54,

With 56 posts, I'd figure you've read about it already, but in case you haven't. KOC as we know, must be in 100% communication with the Kerio server at all times to preform each and every function it does. Functions such as shared calendars and contacts, on-line storage of all data to make backups and data integrity much easier, and piece of mind for both the admins and users. In a LAN environment, this is an extremely good thing as it allows functionality unseen by any other e-mail server in it's class. A few other's offer this type of function, but not at the ease and grace Kerio does it. But, there is a situation where KOC has problems.

If KOC is used externally to a LAN environment, there are possibilities where it can be painfully slow. And, if ever the connectivity is lost, Outlook is rendered useless. Since the world of computers in the office is becoming increasingly mobile, the need to be able to work at times when connecitivity to your Kerio server is not the best is paramount. Kerio's KOC team is working feverishly to create a version that will allow Outlook to continue to work by downloading all e-mail data to the computer rather than requiring it to communicate immediately with the server for all data and changes. In offline mode, movement in and around the Outlook interface will be quick and seemless for most functions when the KOC cannot communicate with the server of it's need immediately. Messages will be download at KOC's available speed which will allow the user the ability to read them without waiting for the message to be sent from the server on each access. This will allow stored message reading even when the server cannot be reached, which is something the KOC module currently cannot do.

Another plus, is that the KOC offline mode will allow native desktop syncronizing with mobile devices such as Palm, Windows Mobile and Blackberry devices. Since KOC currently stores all it's calendar, contact and messages on-line only, the sync programs cannot access this data in order to function properly with these devices. KOC's offline mode is expected to allow this functionality so users with mobile devices can get the best of the Kerio product and their handhelds at the same time. For handheld syncing to work currently, you have to use Kerio in standard POP or IMAP mode, which unfortunately looses all of KOC's features and collaboration tools.

Does that help?
SW
  •  
winkelman

scottwilkins wrote on Wed, 13 September 2006 15:07

For handheld syncing to work currently, you have to use Kerio in standard POP or IMAP mode, which unfortunately looses all of KOC's features and collaboration tools.

We do use Palm Treo 650's (with Palm OS) here in our company and they do sync succesfully with Kerio through Outlook/KOC (you have to configure Hotsync right).

Granted, KOC offline would probably make syncing with Kerio easier and possible with more devices. (Currently I can sync some Palms/Windows Mobile devices, but not others. Rather random.)
  •  
scottwilkins

Do you have a post that explains how this works? I'm very interested. Since the data is not local to the machine, in other words, there is no .pst file, how can it work? I can only see it working if the users has a seperate data file that is not in connection with KOC's data stream which would loose the on-line storage of data for that individual.
  •  
winkelman

The Treo 650 (with Palm OS) simply syncs against an Outlook profile, as opposed to directly with a local pst-file. So Palm Hotsync makes all 'requests' to Outlook, and Outlook can figure out where to get the requested info.

Steps I follow when configuring a new Treo 650 user:
  • Install Outlook and KOC and make it all work like a 'normal' Outlook/KOC situation
  • Install Palm Desktop
  • During install, Palm Desktop will ask if it should setup the synchronisation to the Palm Desktop itself or to Outlook: choose the latter
  • Once installed, go into Hotsync setup (right-click the Hotsyn icon in the ‘notification area’, the), where you can tell what Hotsync should do with the individual services such as Tasks, Calendar, etc. Some of these items are setup to sync with Outlook, others not. That’s fine.
  • Go through all separate things that sync with Outlook and go into the additional settings. Make sure the correct Outlook profile is specified and (important!) turn on the option ‘allow syncing to more that one PC’ and ‘allow offline syncing’.

That’s it.

Mind you, until a year back we used Palm Tungsten W devices: that didn't work. With Palm Treo 650's (Palm OS) it does work. That seemed odd to me, because they both use similar sync software. Perhaps 'under the hood' they're different though.

(If you need more details, please ask. At the moment I cannot enter Executive Office to check the exact naming of options etc.
  •  
winkelman

Oh yes, ofcourse syncing is only possible while connected to the network. Outlook itself does not need to be running (it will automatically launch in the background without interface when needed).
  •  
mcw82

I'm curious how much slower (if any) webmail sessions will be with https as opposed to http. I've had several users complain about webmail being slow again.
  •  
jstrickland

I also sync a Treo 650 with KOC. I use a third party program called CompanionLink to perform the sync. As I recall, it will sync more Outlook Contact fields than the Outlook sync thru Palm Desktop. It is not expensive, and works quite well.
  •  
shaggie16

I have never noticed any difference in speed with webmail when using https connection. I have found this both in a LAN and WAN environment. Webmail seemed to speed up significantly between 6.0 and 6.14.

Remote webmail speeds have recently increased dramatically for a lot of our customers as their companies are migrated to an ADSL Max connection. Not surprising really.
Previous Topic: A little Direction please
Next Topic: OSX & clamav
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 12:14:35 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00550 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.