Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Mail store on separate Xserve fileserver?
  •  
bigmountain

Send a private message to this user
I currently run KMS on a single processor Xserve, along with web, ftp, dns, etc. I am considering purchasing another Xserve, this one dual processors, to move KMS to in an effort to help offload some of the internet traffic off of the older server. I would like to keep my mail store on the older server making it more of a fileserver than anything, because it is configured in a RAID5 array and the new one is not. I like the added security of RAID. The mail store is backed up regularly to a remote drive and my LAN is running Gig Ethernet throughout. Two questions: 1. will this work to turn my first server into a fileserver to host the mail store and 2. while running gigabit throughout my LAN, will I notice any drop in performance, network drive vs. local drive, especially if KMS is moving from a single processor server to a dual processor? Thanks!
  •  
winkelman

It is not possible to place the store on a network volume. As it stands, the access latency would be to high for Kerio's 'store-engine' to function properly, so it is currently not possible to configure such a setup.

Also see
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=34149
and
http://forums.kerio.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=38401
for more info.

[Updated on: Mon, 11 September 2006 19:30]

•  
bigmountain

This is true for Mac OSX as well? I noticed that the discussions you refer to are using other platforms as examples. I am not using mixed environment, so should be pretty streamlined using AFP. Do you have any other suggestions? Would Xserve RAID with fiber, etc. be my only other option other than to create another local hardware RAID configuration on the new server as it is in the older one? Also, for clarification, are you saying that it will not work at all, or just that with the demands of KMS, the latency will cause problems. Both servers are running G5 with 2GB+ of RAM. I am just surprised that even with fast servers that there would be enough latency to cause problems as you described. Thanks for your help. I look forward to your response.
  •  
sonofcolin

KMS needs to access the mailstore on a local file system, not a network file system. This applies to all OS's.
Previous Topic: More than 1 domain
Next Topic: Server Administration
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 07:50:53 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00462 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.