Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Bandwidth requirements
  •  
jburdette

Send a private message to this user
I am in the process of setting up and rolling out Kerio MailServer 6. Does anyone have a good fomula or idea for bandwidth requirements. I going to have about 1500 mail accounts. I currently monitoring my network usage to see were I'm now, but before I roll out to so many users I want to make sure I have a large enough pipe.
  •  
winkelman

What kind of users? 1500 POP3 users or 1500 KOC users makes a rather large difference...
  •  
jburdette

1250 users are students and will be using the Kerio webmail and 250 are staff and faculty that will be using Outlook with Kerio connector\
Joe
  •  
winkelman

In my company, 60 simultaneous Webmail users use in total on average about 75-100 Kbits/sec, peaking to 800 Kbits/sec. These are 30 second averages, so actual peaks are a lot higher.

I estimate KOC users to take up double the bandwith of webmail users (perhaps someone should verify this figure).

So that would translate to you as about:
1.5-2.0 Mbit/sec average, peaking to 16 Mbit/sec for Webmail
0.7-0.9 Mbit/sec average, peaking to 7.2 Mbit/sec for KOC
2.2-2.9 Mbit/sec average, peaking to 23.2 Mbit/sec in total

These would be my very rough estimates based on my users.

Oh, and a tip: for so many users, buy the fastest hard disk subsystem money can buy... I would say, think simultaneous striping to multiple disks type of speeds.

Edit: my figures are based on all your users being logged in at once, not a very likely scenario perhaps.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 September 2006 17:37]

Previous Topic: Security Log
Next Topic: CITRIX - TERMINAL SERVER with KOC
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 13:03:01 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00351 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.