Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Best Installation approach
  •  
renato

Send a private message to this user
Hello mates,
I've been searching around the forums, trying to find for the best aproach to acomplish a very very stable installation.
We are planning to deploy KMS soon, but, it all depends on the fact that we will be able to provide with a very solid system.
So I'm in need to find the best way to deploy KMS with full near 100% availability.
I'm asking you, all who have experience installing any way of failover, redundancy, clustering, mirroring or any other way to have mail service functioning most possible time.
I'd need servers configuration, os selection, and platform requirements to accomplish this.
We are expecting to hold over 1000 user accounts, most probably not removing data off the server, so they would probably be using KOC or IMAP.

All and any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

cheers,

rena

==================================================
Building our knowledge ... encouraging our wisdom.
Renato Coto
http://www.integrese.com
  •  
winkelman

I think there are only two possibilities, as Kerio does not support explicit clustering or anything fancy like that:
  1. Buy a fully redundant server. The more money, the more hot-swappable redundancy you can buy. I would say at least (very) redundant disk sub-system, redundant network (to two separate switches and differently branded NIC's to avoid driver problems), redundant power supplies, etc. For more money you can also buy hot-swappable CPU's, memory, etc. Still, the machine would sometimes need reboots etc.
  2. If 1. is not enough, consider a solution with two identical servers. One operational one and the other shadowing the first. When the active server goes down, the secondary server assumes the primary server's identity (name, IP, etc.) and just keeps on working. See for example software solution Double-Take. This could even be cheaper then option 1... and the secondary server could simultaneously shadow other servers as well. Of course, it could only take over one failed server.
  •  
jshaw541

We have KMS 6.2 running on a Windows Server 2003 box and it's near-100% availability. We have over 1200 active users. It seems rock solid (scary thing to say with Windows, but true).

As the other replier said, there are no native clustering solutions with KMS.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
  •  
pruits

jshaw541,

If you don't mind me asking, what size mailboxes to you allow you user to have, and how do your users primarly access email (oulook, webmail, etc...)
  •  
winkelman

jshaw541 wrote on Thu, 21 September 2006 17:15

We have KMS 6.2 running on a Windows Server 2003 box and it's near-100% availability.

I have to agree: since I moved KMS to Windows Server 2003 (from Windows 2000) four months ago and upgraded the disks to fast 15k RPM SCSI drives, I haven't had a single stability issue yet. Just keeps on running for months. It basicly runs continuesly from KMS update to KMS update :)

In my case, I feel it's the fast(er) disk that made KMS rock-solid. And Kerio's own software improvements of course!

100 users, all on Webmail, 5 also Outlook/KOC and 5 also IMAP (Thunderbird) users. Mailboxes range from 400Mb to 2Gb's.
  •  
jshaw541

Quote:

jshaw541,

If you don't mind me asking, what size mailboxes to you allow you user to have, and how do your users primarly access email (oulook, webmail, etc...)

I don't mind answering any questions :)

Almost all of our 1200 users are IMAPS (IMAP over SSL) users connecting via Apple Mail. We usually have an average of 100 active Webmail connections throughout most of the day.

When I get some good graphs, I may post them. For now, I am just astounded that KMS can handle so much traffic with only an average of ~5% CPU load per CPU core (2 x dual core Xeon 3.2ghz).

There are some serious performance degradations that occur within KMS when user have mailboxes with a huge amount (hundreds of thousands) of messages. We had this problem for a while and worked directly with Kerio's excellent engineers until it was solved. So, if you see a lot of CPU usage, I would explore that route.

Kerio MailServer 6.7.1 w/AD
Windows Server 2003 SP 1
Dell PowerEdge 2850 (Dual Xeon 3.2ghz and 2 GB RAM)
~1300 users
~1000+ concurrent IMAPS connections
iPhone users
Outlook 2007 KOFF users
Apple iCal 10.5/10.6 users
Previous Topic: Changing Webmail title?
Next Topic: Use open directory without Kerberos
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Fri Nov 24 06:37:06 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00426 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.