Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Thoughts on MacOS client support
  •  
bnz99

Send a private message to this user
hello,

i think the kerio mailserver is a really interesting product, but the macoS support really lacks due to lacking support auf ical and address book (if i understand it correctly, ical and addressbook are both read only at the moment). there are currently two ways to address this issue as far as i can see it:

- provide an isync service just like zimbra (there seems to be happening something in that direction at scalix too if you read the forums)

- provide a caldav interface so that it can be used with ical when macos leopard comes out. however, this probably doesn't solve the address book connectivity. so i guess isync would still be necessary if the address book should be editable.

so since i know that kerio doesn't talk about future plans as i have read, i don't expect an answer, but i surely hope that they will read this. A community discussion would certainly be nice.
  •  
Pavel Dobry (Kerio)

There are no restrictions (or lack of support) in iCal or Address Book. Both applications are fully supported. Contact in Address Book can be fully synchronized with KMS in both ways (not read-only). iCal application however has some minor issues: same calendar cannot be subscribed from and published to same location.
  •  
bnz99

wow...this would be good news and i apologize for not understanding that correctly then! the ical restriction sounds like one issue that has been announced to be adressed in ical 3.0.
  •  
osci

Quote:

wow...this would be good news and i apologize for not understanding that correctly then! the ical restriction sounds like one issue that has been announced to be adressed in ical 3.0.

Not only that, but Address Book in 10.5 will also support sharing contacts. I do hope that Kerio will fully support iCal 3, Mail 3 and the new Address Book when 10.5 is released (should be in April 2007), serious competition to Entourage is much needed.
  •  
bnz99

I think this would probably mean to support caldav. I suppose next year might be the year of caldav with macos going into the caldav direction and the supporting tools (chandler, cosmo, sunbird, mulberry, evolution, open connector etc.) becoming more stable. Yeah, i too think this would make Kerio mailserver look really good.
  •  
My IT Indy

I talked to my Kerio rep about this and supposedly Kerio will support CalDAV sometime in the future, as will iCal and other apps. This will definitely position Kerio as a more viable solution for Mac businesses. I might be able to sell a few more copies to clients knowing that iCal will sync with read/write abilities to a KMS.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
MacDave

Kerio_pdobry wrote on Fri, 22 September 2006 13:20

There are no restrictions (or lack of support) in iCal or Address Book. Both applications are fully supported. Contact in Address Book can be fully synchronized with KMS in both ways (not read-only).

Well, this is partially true: address book data cannot be shared, with read/write privs, across multiple users. For example: users joe and jane can *NOT* both see the same shared address book, and both be able to make changes to it.

So by 'syncing' pdobry means syncing between the users desktop data and that same users' data on the server (such that the users' contact/calendar data can be accessible to that same user from multiple machines), not syncing among multiple users with r/w access.

This is a far cry from, and nowhere near the same thing as Groupware. For groupware you need Entourage, and it's slow, slow, slow.

[Updated on: Thu, 12 October 2006 10:10]

Previous Topic: Slow Contacts Syncing from Entourage to KMS
Next Topic: Mail in Junk Folder => mark as read
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Sun Nov 19 09:46:57 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00508 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.