Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » How to receive mail from a local system?
  •  
Phaethar

Send a private message to this user
Hey all,

We are currently running KMS 6.2 on a Linux system, and things are working great for most mail. The 1 problem I'm having is with some of our local systems that create mail and send it automatically via a script. These scripts are running on Linux systems and are using the mail command. Whenever they try to send their message, Kerio rejects it with this error:

Message from IP address 192.168.X.X, sender <root<_at_>localhost.localdomain> rejected: sender domain does not exist

It appears that there isn't a way to specify a sender address using the mail command, and I can't find a way to tell Kerio to accept this message.

I'm curious to know if anyone else has run into this, or if there is an easy way to work around this without having to rewrite all the scripts.

Thanks!
  •  
Slaine

I'm not sure if this works on the Linux system, but here goes:

Option 1: Create an IP group for the 192.168.0.0 - IP range and add it to your white-listed server. (Spam Filter -> Blacklists)

Option 2: Add the a custom rule to accept all mail from localhost.localdomain. (Spam Filter -> Custom Rules)

Does the Linux version have a graphical interface available for often changing settings like these?

[Updated on: Wed, 27 September 2006 19:26]

- Pierre Roux
http://www.ozone.co.za/ (My Job)
http://seven.dfx.co.za/ (My Hobby)
  •  
Phaethar

Slaine wrote on Wed, 27 September 2006 12:21

Option 1: Create an IP group for the 192.168.0.0 - IP range and add it to your white-listed server. (Spam Filter -> Blacklists)

I'll give this a shot, as I hadn't thought about this.

Quote:

Option 2: Add the a custom rule to accept all mail from localhost.localdomain. (Spam Filter -> Custom Rules)

This I've already added. It showed this morning that the rule had been used, but the security log still showed that the messages had been rejected.

Quote:

Does the Linux version have a graphical interface available for often changing settings like these?

Indeed it does! There is an admin tool available for the Linux system itself, as well as a Windows admin tool for remote configuration.
  •  
Phaethar

*Bump*

Haven't had any luck on this yet. IP was added to the whitelist, and the email address root<_at_>localhost.localdomain was added to the spam list and set to allow as well. Both rules seem to have taken properly, but the security log still shows the message rejected due to the domain not existing.

Is there any way at all I can specifically allow these messages to sent?
  •  
rencorp

In the admin console, on the SMTP server option, Security options tab, do you have a tick in the "Block if sender's email address was not found in DNS". If you do, try removing the tick.

Gary
www.rencorp.co.uk

Kerio Certified Business Partner - Messaging
  •  
bheinola

I was also wondering how to do it, but I really did not figure out any decent solution.
My solution is a bit of a kludge but it works for me (fortunately I have very few local users):

Start kerio on IP #1
Start postfix on IP #2
Configure postfix to forward everything to Kerio
add a .forward file to each user pointing to a domain which a) is known by Kerio but not known as local to postfix.

So, is there a way to make Kerio to read the local mailqueue, since I'd rather not run two smtp servers in parallel, and my "fix" is not really possible for people who have only one IP address.

•  
winkelman

I'm sure there are other command line mailers that do support specifying the sender (incl. domain). Wouldn't that be an easy solution?
  •  
bheinola

In some cases yes, but for example a web form or something which calls mail function from php (or php's mail function) would still not work as they rely on the OS to do the proper thing.
Well, I never said that mine was perfect but it works for me :)
  •  
sedell

As long as PHP is configured right, you can do this. On Windows, PHP can be configured with From addresses in the php.ini file. On Unix, sendmail can be configured with a list of trusted users you can use, and specify them with the PHP mail function's additional parameters to choose a From address.

Scott
  •  
bheinola

sedell, the subject of this discussion is "how to receive mail from a local system" and being at Kerio forums it applies to kms, so IMO sendmail etc. are not applicable here. I know how to set from addresses etc. but it does not change the fact that kerio will not deliver local mail to correct destination without kludging with postfix, sendmail or whatever.
I know it's possible to code a php snippet which will connect to mail server over smtp instead of relying to the local mailer, but it isn't a fix, merely a workaround.
I'm not even really complaining, I can live with my kludges, but this seemed to be a problem for the original thread starter.
  •  
sedell

I thought the point was there was difficulty sending mail from a PHP system or via script through KMS. I didn't bring up PHP and sendmail (which seems to be a requirement of PHP on Linux), just pointing out that they can be configured to use a proper from address, which the previous post indicated couldn't be done.

As for the built in domain verification - I don't believe the whitelist affects this. Every other place where the whitelist is applicable has a checkbox with a drop down menu to enable the feature, and select the IP group to use as an exclusion. The results previously posted would seem to confirm this.

The custom spam rules won't apply either, since they get processed after the domain verification is done. The only exception is if you have a rule of type Domain at the very top of your list (a bug in the rule processing was introduced in the 6.2 line making this necessary). It works for blocking mail by domain without accepting it, but I've never tested it with accepting mail.

If that fails, the fix is to get the sending system to use a proper address, which would involve tinkering with PHP, sendmail, or whatever is being used to send the mail. But since none of these options apply directly to KMS, they aren't applicable here.

You could disable domain verification, which will open you up to additional spam.

The only other options I see (which aren't directly part of KMS, so therefore not applicable and should not be discussed) are to use a replacement mechanism used to send the mail, or try adding a locahost.localdomain zone to DNS. This may not be accepted by the DNS server or function properly.

Scott
Previous Topic: Can members get a list of subscribers?
Next Topic: Pop Connector
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 20:34:16 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00434 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.