Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Result: delayed, Status: 4.1.1 451 Could not complete sender verify callout
  •  
gbalbach

Send a private message to this user
Hello everyone,

We have been seeing a few of these messages in the mail log of our Kerio 6.2.2 mail server -

Result: delayed, Status: 4.1.1 451 Could not complete sender verify callout

When trying to send email to a few (not all) different domains. Is there something I should be checking on our end? It seems like our server isn't set right but I can figure out what it is.

Thanks for any help!
  •  
sedell

Send a private message to this user
I saw a number of messages similar to this the other day, except in my case, the messages had been rejected.

A company we deal with just implemented an anti-spam system which does call backs to verify the address the mail is coming from. The IP address they used for the new system was blacklisted. The blacklisting caused KMS to reject their verification attempts, which caused the verification system to reject our delivery attempts.

Systems that perform call backs are evil things. It's got to be one of the most problematic and least effective anti-spam systems I've ever seen.

Call backs work in the following way:

1. You connect to a remote server to deliver mail.
  2. The remote system takes the address you are delivering mail from, and connects back pretending to send a message to that same address.
  3. If they get an address OK response to the TO address (the FROM address from your message), they accept your mail. Otherwise, they reject it outright, or temporarily fail it.

A delayed message with a response of '451 Could not complete sender verify callout' could mean they weren't able to successfully connect to your system to perform the verification. They may have connected, but didn't wait long enough to get a response.

You could enable the SMTPS and SMTPC debug logs. You could then see if they connect back to you while your system is trying to deliver mail to them. Make sure the mail is being sent with a legitimate e-mail address.

Other than that, I'm not sure there is a way to correct an issue like that, other than to scrap the system on the remote end that's using it.

Scott
Previous Topic: thirdparty solutions ?
Next Topic: A little Direction please
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Wed Nov 22 17:41:20 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00814 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.