Connect. Communicate. Collaborate. Securely.

Home » Kerio User Forums » Kerio Connect » Backup Server Licence
  •  
willowsv

Send a private message to this user
Do Kerio have any plans on releasing a "No User" licence version of KMS that can be used to function as a secondry mail-server picking up mail when the primary is unreachable and having the mail picked up by ETRM?

Seems pretty stupid that they include a way of setting up a redundant server that you have to pay for a 20 user licence when in reality it only needs to recieve SMTP requests and store mail until pickup ( no Webmail pop etc needed )
  •  
bmdv

Here are some news, for the new Edition of KERIO
But nothing about a SMTP Only Version.

[Edited by Moderator - posted information is not intended for public disclosure, it is for internal purposes only.]

[Updated on: Sun, 15 October 2006 10:53] by Moderator

•  
willowsv

Ok no problem.

My problem is we need to set up a Backup Mail Server to handle our mail in the event of say the Primary Internet Connection failing I know this can be done using Kerio by setting it to recieve mail as a secondry MX and getting the primary to download the messages when its back online but theres no way either I or the company can jusify paying out the full cost of another copy of the mail server when its going to have at most one user on it for administration.

A one user licence or maybe a 2-3 user licence would be the ideal solution. One way would be to allow you to register a second copy for redundancy/testing or introduce a low cost backup licence.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 October 2006 17:13]

•  
anthony.somerset

i also would like to hear about more information on this.

my ideal situation would be to either to be able to put my existing license ID into the backup server and be allowed to run it as a secondary MX record in the standard way.

i dont want to have to pay for another full license when i will be having over 50 users once everybody is fully migrated over

Mac Xserve Intel - 2x 2.7GHz Dual Core Xeon
Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
~60 Users (varying windows and mac Exchange or IMAP)
18 iPhones
  •  
willowsv

Will never happen.

the fact Kerio ignored the subject for over two years is testament to that.

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2008 16:09]

•  
anthony.somerset

well i would rather hear that from an official source than an unofficial one

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
willowsv

Oh yes I have no doubt and I think we all would Smile

Kerio HAS read this thread as someone internal leaked the 6.5 pricing details early and they were edited out ( see edited post ) but they neglected to actually give give an answer or response even though this question has been raised at least twice if I recall.

Kerio are normally pretty good at answering posts on the forums despite ( iir ) that they are not an official support channel. The forums are however a public facing portal and the fact the question was asked and has been ignored says it all.

I could however be wrong and if you e-mail them I suspect they may add it to their list of suggestions.

The last solution I looked at was http://www.postfix.org but haven't actually got around to setting up anything yet but were going to be reviewing out entire mail server(s) soon and reviewing our options. Mail Uptime on our primary has been pretty much above 95%

[Updated on: Wed, 13 August 2008 16:30]

•  
bigmountain

If you are looking for a backup solution to handle inbound messages only in case of a server failure, then you can also look at a spam/virus firewall which will store and forward messages. Boxes typically start at around $1200-1300. Also, as an alternative, my company does provide this 3rd party filtering/store and forward service for minimal cost. Not only would it provide you redundancy from server failure, but it would also provide you redundancy should your internet connection fail as well. I do not know how many users you have, but it would be worth looking into. Here is a direct link to the service info: http://bigmountaindesign.com/webservices/mailfoundry.shtml

Preferred Kerio Partner and Cloud Solutions Provider - Offering both shared and dedicated Kerio Connect hosting solutions.
Visit us at http://bigmountainmail.com
  •  
willowsv

Well that's the idea to set up another KMS off site as a secondary MX.

Seeing as Kerio don't offer a backup/failover solution your only option is to shell out 300 for effectively 10 users ( which are redundant as you cant reuse the 9 useful boxes on the main server )

Im too busy at the moment but our Kerio Subscription ends in around 5 months I think. We shall be upgrading and reviewing both our mail and failover solution which includes whether we even bother staying with Kerio then.
  •  
My IT Indy

Have you communicated this idea to Kerio directly? You need to contact them for feature requests. This forum isn't the way to ask for new stuff.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
  •  
anthony.somerset

i have already raised a support ticket asking them to clarify about backup mx

i dont need the guide to do it, as i know exactly how i would plan it - secondary server only collects mail (no users) and forwards it to main via ETRN

i want to have both machines running simultaneously so i dont have to switch the secondary on if primary goes down and risk losing email

my theory is that it would be ok as you technically aren't using any licenses on the backup mx and that it is only really ever active when your primary is down anyway and its main focus is not to serve mail to users but collect it so that it doesnt get bounced

my ten cents anyway

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
germanr

We use this:

http://www.dnsmadeeasy.com/s0306/prod/mailbk.html

It costs USD 12.95 per year per domain and does the job.

[Updated on: Sat, 16 August 2008 02:02]

German Ruiz
Home & Office
Kerio Prefered Partner
Uruguay
  •  
anthony.somerset

if i wanted to pay for an external service i wouldnt be asking this question.

my point is i have 2 xserves on 2 seperate internet connections the first runs kerio normally

i would like to install kerio on the second server as a backup mx, the question being asked is what are the license implications, not what backup mx companies are out there

Leopard 10.5.8
4GB Ram
1.25 TB HDD Raid 5
Kerio 6.7.1
18 iPhones
  •  
sonofcolin

You need to buy another minimum user license which is why other users have been making other suggestions Rolling Eyes
My IT Indy

Theoretically, what would happen if you used rsync to keep the two mailserver directories in relative sync? Say, have rsync run every 15 minutes.

I did this between two fedora core servers and was able to run a final sync, and then turn off the source server, turn up the destination server and have no issues at all.

-
My IT Indy
Kerio Certified Reseller and Hosted Provider
http://www.myitindy.com
Previous Topic: Evolution
Next Topic: ClamAV on a Linux Install
Goto Forum:

Disclaimer:
Kerio discussion forums are intended for open communication between forum members and may contain information and material posted by members which may be useful in learning about Kerio products. The discussion forums are not intended to provide technical support for any specific product. Any information implied or expressed in the discussion forums is that of the posting member. Kerio is in no way responsible for the information posted in the forums, or its accuracy. Kerio employees may participate in the discussions, but their postings do not represent an offical position of the company on any issues raised or discussed. Kerio reserves the right to monitor and maintain the forums to promote free and accurate exchange of information.

Current Time: Tue Nov 21 16:50:26 CET 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00506 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.